Board index Equipment Digital Cameras entering the world of DSLR and needs help!!!

Digital Cameras

entering the world of DSLR and needs help!!!

lboogie

entering the world of DSLR and needs help!!!

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:16 am

Hello to all the good folks at PBase,

I'm currently faced with an ultimate decision of either going with Canon or Nikon. The cameras I've looked at are Rebel XSi and D90. For Rebel XSi, I found a low price tag at my local camera store ($550 US, including 18-55 kit lens and 4gb mem) while the D90 carries a relatively higher price tag which includes it's kits lens and it's more than twice as much as XSi.

I'm just starting out but, I'll be mostly using my dslr to take nigh shots and landscape pictures (which are the reasons why I want to get dslr in the first place). Also, I'm very serious about really getting my hands dirty in the world of photography. So far, I've had mixed opinions. Some tells me I should get the cheaper XSi and buy better lens with the money I could save, while the others tell me that XSi is outdated and that I should get D90 instead. Regardless of their opinions, one thing for sure is that once you stick with one brand, you're virtually stuck with that brand.

So, I'm wondering which brand offers better lens and accessories in terms of cost, quality, variability, and compatibility. Also, any advice as to which path I should take would be appreciated Nikon? Canon?

Thank you

rileypm

Re: entering the world of DSLR and needs help!!!

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:10 am

Canon or Nikon. Ford or Chevy. In the long run it is what feels right for you. Both are quality manufacturers and both offer many fine lens and accessories. I have a Canon XSI because it was inexpensive entry SLR and I have a good freind who uses Canon equipment from whom I can borrow from to see if I like a particular lense or flash before buying. When thinking digital, you must know that whatever you buy is going to be obsolete the day you bring it home. My XSI is obsolete but amazingly enough it still works just like the day I bought it. Being on a budget, afforability won out over "latest, greatest." Most of what the new Canon Digital Rebel does that my camera does not do is take HD movies. I have a video camera for taking movies. I am sure every one who owns a camera will have an opinion on the subject. This one is mine.

prinothcat

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:28 am

One point in Nikons favor is you can use nearly any Nikkor lens made since 1980, as long as it is AI capable. Manual, auto, it doesn't matter. As long as the lens has the proper connectors they will work. Certain bodies do not conform to this, but they are entry level such as the D-40's. There is a chart of Nikon lens compatibility here for information purposes. Perhaps look at this page as well. DPreviews is also a good place to read up on various cameras. As mentioned above, one camera body is going to say "Yes! it's me" over the other. It helps to have them side by side. Some people have noted that Canon's menu structure is a bit less than intuitive. I can't comment on that directly. Personally, I'm a happy Nikon shooter.

dougj

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:37 am

Any of the major companies manufacture cameras that are capable of producing excellent photos - Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax....... The limiting factors in image quality are more related to lenses and the photographer. All of the majors produce lenses that cover the spectrum in focal lengths, price and quality. There are differences in what the companies offer, but there are many available and each one introduces several new or improved lenses each year.

The big difference between bodies is more related to ergonomics IMHO, the best thing to do is try the ones you're interested in and see which one has a convenient layout of buttons, switches & dials, menus and which one feels the best in your hands. I shoot with Canon, but I've also used Nikon and they're both good. It's hard to make a bad decision today when buying a DSLR.

lboogie

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:24 am

Thank you so much for the prompt responses. I'm starting to learn a great deal that the brand doesn't really matter in the end. Sure, it's hard to make a switch later but, in terms of the features and performance, it won't satisfy the ever growing needs of a human being. Also the fact that there is an option of post processing the image.

I guess one thing I forgot to mention in the main question would be the performance under the low light situations. I'm very interested in night photography (like Paris by Night by Brassai) rather then during the bright sunny day. Also, I prefer to take landscapes over portraits. Yes, my skills are non-existed at the moment but, I hope to have a camera that can take decent, if not great night shots. It's easy to find reviews that extensively deals with the bright day light situation but, the limited or low light situations like dusk, night, and cloudy isn't very much explained.

dougj

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:46 am

Night & low light photography - ISO noise is frequently a consideration, noise increases as the ISO increases, it becomes more pronounced with darker colors & shadows. For static objects, the shutter speed & ISO may not be an issue as you can use a tripod and shoot with a slow shutter speed at or near base ISO (~100-200). For subjects in motion and/or handheld shots you'll need a faster shutter speed to stop/reduce the subject & camera motion; a faster shutter requires higher ISO and / or a faster (larger aperture) lens. You can look at the cameras ISO noise performance in the range of 800-1,600. Chris posted a link to DPR, they have some decent ISO performance tests and forums.

Landscape - Most bodies have enough megapixels to capture the details, add a decent wide angle zoom or prime.

A decent tripod and a remote shutter release cable will really help, but I don't use either often enough ;)

Just my $0.02, I hope it helps.

lboogie

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:31 am

Just comparing the two cameras I've mentioned in the main thread, Nikon D90 has greater range of ISO then the XSi. Does this mean D90 will be more capable at taking pictures under the low light and night time in compare to XSi which it stops at 1600 (when respective kit lens are used)?? I was told that these two cameras are very popular choice for both beginners and enthusiasts which offers superb performance and good price. But, is there any other cameras that I should also consider?

dougj

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:26 am

lboogie wrote:Just comparing the two cameras I've mentioned in the main thread, Nikon D90 has greater range of ISO then the XSi. Does this mean D90 will be more capable at taking pictures under the low light and night time in compare to XSi which it stops at 1600 (when respective kit lens are used)??

Maybe - it depends on the performance, particularly noise, at ISO 3200 and if it is acceptable to you. I usually will not recommend one model over another as the criteria I use are OK for me, but may not be the same for someone else. I suggest you look at example photos and then decide, you can also go to DPreview and check the forums for user comments. You can also register and ask the users for advice and recommendations, both the Canon and Nikon forums are very active. While there, it's easy to check the other DSLR forums.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras entering the world of DSLR and needs help!!!