Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Sigma or Canon

Digital Cameras

Sigma or Canon

corne

Sigma or Canon

Post Sun May 09, 2004 4:55 am

I have been trying to compare the two in this site and still sit with a pros and cons being six of one and half a dozen of the other. I like the sigma but even thoug they say 10mp its realy only 3.4mp. Canon seem to have 6 mp but the 3.4 looks better to me. any help

castledude

Post Sun May 09, 2004 2:10 pm

Depends on your final output... For the web and prints up to 5x7 the Sigma in concept will eat the lunch of the Canon (I am talking 10D here). At 8x10 the better colors of the Sigma will be a push with the enhanced resolution of the Canon. If you go beyond that the Canon will ON AVERAGE produce a better picture than the Sigma.

The adavantage of Canon (and Nikon) over the Sigma are it's lenses. Canon/Nikon glass is much better and more diverse than Sigma lenses. I don't even think you can get an IS lens in a Sigma mount and good luck finding a place to rent a special lens for the Sigma.

wilfredmrand

Post Sun May 09, 2004 4:35 pm

The Sigma has a lot of positives. Nice weight and balance. Fabulous viewfinder which is 97% accurate and has a shaded outside-the-frame view which would be great for sports. Foveon concept is solid and produces an image equivalent to Canon 6mp CMOS (or so I've read in various places). For $1000, it comes with two lenses. This is a fine instrument.

Here are the tradeoffs. The lens issue: you're confined to Sigma lenses only, although they make professional grade lenses like the 15-30 EX and the 7-200 f/2.8....and these are great lenses. No popup flash, so add $180 for the 500 DG Super. No jpeg support - it's all RAW and TIFF, full resolution. (They have good software, though, which helps out in post.)

I like this camera a lot, and if it were priced this competitively when I bought the 300D, I would have found this an extremely difficult decision to make.

jchaney

Post Mon May 10, 2004 10:52 am

Read some reviews before diciding. Take your own CF card to a local camera shop and see if they will let you take some test shots with each camera.

I recently looked at the Sigma SD10 and the Canon 10D. I dicided to go with the 10D in the end. I know the x3 technology of the SD10's sensor is supposed to produce more accurate colors, but I found just the opposite true. The SD10's reds looked orange, and the greens were yelowish, while the Canon 10D's colors remained true. The SD10 also is very noisy at long exposure shots.

maxchau

Post Sun May 16, 2004 6:30 am

Looks like I am the only SD10 user here. The above gentlemen are ture to an extent. But if you want a camera that is fun to use... I mean to own your own "digital darkroom" so you can have the choice of manipulate the "negatives" when you are in the mood.
I found this is the most powerful thing about SD10 and it's software (it does take more time than those point and shoot DSLRs) that one can create the kind of image based on the artist's intend.
check out some of my photos and you may get a feel for it. (and I just began ...)
http://www.pbase.com/maxchau/abstrct

fastuno

Post Sun May 16, 2004 3:16 pm

From what I have seen this guy has some of the best Sigma images.
http://www.pbase.com/sigmasd9/champa_arounee_sd10

Does anyone else have links to any knockout images from the SD10?

corne

sd 10 v canon

Post Mon May 17, 2004 10:12 am

thanks for the reply guys
Looking at the sit and some of the photos I think coming from a sony dcs s75 the Canon looks like the thing. Had a look at the D70 review and totaly disagrees with it to me the the Canon kills it. SD 10 well it is a great camera no doubt but i dont have that much time and will have to rely on the camera to do most of the work. It is hard for me to see how 3.4 mp (my opinion) can beat a 6mp. Once again I did not agree with the review. mabe it is time to get glases but the Canon once again looked better. I do a fair bit of night photography so the noise in low light is a problem for me. Maybe the sd11 will be better. if only it was a 6mp then it whould be a easy choice. :roll: next time but for now i will go for a canon.

thanks again for your coments guys

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Sigma or Canon