Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Help. Problem with new 40D

Digital Cameras

Help. Problem with new 40D

usmaak

Help. Problem with new 40D

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:36 am

Hi,

I've had this 40D for about three months, but today is the first day that I really got to take it out and put it through its paces. This is a new camera.

At first it seemed very responsive, but I soon noticed that this wasn't always the case. Sometimes when I press the shutter button, it would freeze (for want of a better word). The steps to reproduce are like this:

1. Frame shot
2. Depress shutter button halfway down and wait for it to focus, and beep.
3. Depress shutter button all the way.

At this point, it would pause for a second or so, and then the shutter would open and close. This isn't a case where the shutter is staying open for a longer period of time because of a darker environment. It is independent of the shutter opening and closing. It happens before the shutter opens.

I was able to get it to happen on both fully auto and Program. I'm a newbie photographer, so I haven't gotten much beyond Program.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I would really hate to think that I had a brand new camera that is defective already.

I made sure that the battery is fully charged. I'm using Ultra II 2.0 GB memory cards. The file size is set to large. If there is any other info I can provide to help diagnose this problem, please let me know.

Thanks all.

dougj

Re: Help. Problem with new 40D

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:04 am

Too bad you're having problems with the new camera. It sounds like the shutter button is defective, I've read posts on other forums that describe the same problem. You can try a different lens if you have another one, but you probably need to contact Canon for service.

usmaak

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:10 am

dougj wrote:Too bad you're having problems with the new camera. It sounds like the shutter button is defective, I've read posts on other forums that describe the same problem. You can try a different lens if you have another one, but you probably need to contact Canon for service.

Thanks for the quick reply. I hope that this isn't the case. The camera is virtually new. I'd hate to toss it to Canon and have them mess it up even more. They apparently have pretty awful support.

What are the other forums that you're referring to?

blumarble

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:15 am

Make sure you haven't set the drive mode to "2 seconds". The first time using the 2 second timer, I forgot to reset it. The next time I used the camera, I thought something was wrong until I remembered...

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Help. Problem with new 40D