Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Olympus EP-1

Digital Cameras

Olympus EP-1

madlights

Olympus EP-1

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Olympus has finally sprung it's much waited for rangefinder. It's very small for an DSLR based sensor, and seems to have fairly good noise control compared to some of Oly's older DSLR's according to reviews (and some samples I've looked at). Digital Photography Review has a good pre-release review along with some sample pics and HD video. It's shipping in kits with a choice of 1 of 2 lenses, one with an add on optical viewfinder - the 17mm pancake and also a 14-42? zoom, if I'm remembering right. An adapter for other 4/3rds lenses can be had, and another for OM lenses (manual focus possible only with the OM's) Seems a pretty neat camera and a lot cheaper than an M8 :-) It can use Panasonic's Leica made 4/3rds lenses and think they work in all areas (but I'd sure check first).Since it has contrast detection autofocus, the focus may be some slower than a DSLR, and it seems some firmware updating has been going on, from what I've read, to correct issues around this in preproduction. Remember that a 4/3rds sensor is roughly 1/2 of a 35mm frame, so a 17mm lens becomes a 34mm lens. You can check it out at Digital Photography Review (DPR) and for pricing B&H among others has them listed. With the zoom they're 799.00 and with the 17mm and viewfinder 899.00. Also they are calling this camera a Digital Pen series which carries on the tradition of the 1/2 frame 35mm Pen cameras. If they sell really, really well, I'm wondering if some other manufacturers (hello Canon? hello Nikon? Hello Pentax?) will come out with rangefinders of some sort eventually. Oly's EP-1's are pretty slick looking, coming in silver and black, and white and beige, with a definite retro look. They'll fit in a jacket pocket or purse...with the 17mm pancake attached, and should be very unobtrusive for street shooting..and nice to carry around for DSLR quality photos.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Olympus EP-1