Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Please help! Rebel XS vs XSi

Digital Cameras

Please help! Rebel XS vs XSi

clamp_navy

Please help! Rebel XS vs XSi

Post Fri May 08, 2009 5:49 am

I am thinking of either getting a Rebel XS or XSi.
This is my first dSLR and I want something I can use for a few years and can grow with.
I mostly take landscape, scenery, nature, building, photos. Not often moving subjects but occasionally.

There is special deal on XS and XSi at local store this week.
They have great in store warranty program so I would prefer to get it there in case something ever happens to the camera.

Should I get:

Canon Digital Rebel XSi SLR with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS & EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
for $820

or

Canon Rebel XS EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
for $590 and add Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM total is $690

I am thinking the XSi is better deal. Also is the 55-250mm superior to the 75-300mm? The 55-250 has IS.
Or should I pass on the extra lenses altogether?

toosnvetts

Re: Please help! Rebel XS vs XSi

Post Mon May 25, 2009 5:29 am

Since no one has answered, I will tell you that I am absolutely astounded how fast these "entry level" DSLRs are coming out. I bought an XTi (400D) about two years ago and it is still a great camera. Last year I bought a professional Canon 1D and it is a great camera but, in all honesty, the XTi did all I was looking for just not at blinding speed which I rarely use anyway. I have heard it said on this forum before, and I believe it, that the camera body is basically a light box and the IQ (image quality) will really be more affected by the choice of lens one puts on that camera. I have found this to be true.

I also notice that many of the 18-55 kit lens that come with these cameras now have IS (image stabilization). I have always thought the 18-55 that came with my XTi was pretty good although the "L" lenses I have bought since are just phenomenal. They can make just about anyone look like a photographer! :lol: Your photography interests may make those longer lenses (250 and 300mm) optional. Maybe you might want to just get the "kit lens", 18-55, first and add others later. I also think it is good that you are buying from a store that you can form a relationship with. When I bought my XTi, I bought the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM and later wanted to upgrade. After six weeks, they took that lens back and gave me full credit against a EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM. My local store is very competitive and I always leave with full setup and instruction. You won't get that in a big chain store.

Honestly, if you are just starting out, I think either camera will be great. Just keep in mind that, if you become serious and want to upgrade bodies, you will want to buy EF lenses as they will fit all Canon bodies. EF-S lenses will not fit some of the better Canon bodies. I hope you have a good experience and have fun. I know I have! :D

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Please help! Rebel XS vs XSi