Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Testing the new Zeiss 25mm f2.8 on 5D II

Digital Cameras

Testing the new Zeiss 25mm f2.8 on 5D II

nickdemarco

Testing the new Zeiss 25mm f2.8 on 5D II

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:21 pm

My Zeiss 25mm f2.8 (Nikon fit) finally arrived I already bought a good adapter. Took a few shots on the way to and from work, then at the weekend around st pancras and then in Newcastle where I was for work.

Check the gallery here: http://www.pbase.com/nickdemarco/zeiss_25

I also did a 25mm lens test with the Zeiss and the Canon 16-35mm f2.8L II and the Canon 24-105mm f4L. The results (the Zeiss wipes the floor with the other two) are in the first sub-gallery.

First impresssions:
As the reviews said, incredibly sharp. Nice cool Zeiss look. Good bokeh wide open. Macro ability is crazy, you can focus within 2 inches of the subject.

It's a quite heavy lens (nearly .5 kg) and much bigger than my Contax 18mm f4, but still smaller than the Canon 16-35mm f2.8L Mk II. Being only in Nikon fit it took a while to get used to everything be the wrong way around, especially as 90% of the focus ring is for 6 foot or under.

The lens and hood are certainly very solid and well made as you would expect. I'm pleased to discover it has a 58mm filter thread as I had just bought a 58 infra red filter - you can see the experiments I have done with IR in the gallery.

I had a trip to Paris last weekend and had expected the 25 to come with me, but it had not arrived. Instead I used the Contax 18mm f4 a lot for wide stuff. The 18 excelled itself in the bright sun of Paris, especially for architecture. I am pretty sure though that the 25 is sharper, much sharper. Generally, the 25 is a more useful range for me. But I ill be hanging on to the nice quite smll 18 for those extra wides.

I have gone through a few wides, but think the Contax 18 and the Zeiss 25 will now be all I really use, so will probably be selling a Leica 21, Olympus 21, Leica and Olympus 28 soon (I shall keep my 16-35L for those rare times I need AF).

The 25 will from now on be my first choice for wideangle photography of wider than 35mm.

paul

Re: Testing the new Zeiss 25mm f2.8 on 5D II

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:19 am

It is all in you head! The Zeiss lensis no better than any of the canon L lens.

I was in a Sony store today in San Diego. I bought my own Sandisk card and they let me use their alfa 900 with the Zeiss 16 to 35mm lens to snap a few pictures and compare them to my Canon equipments. When I got home, I was shock, totally shock by the poor quality of the images. The zeiss lens glamour is all in you head.

photographybygeorge

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:19 am

Zeiss lenses are far superior on color , microcontrast my ZF 25 is better than any wide angle nikon .
Also my new ZF 2/100 beats the crap on ANY lens besides the leica 90 APO .

Zeiss lenses are amazing .

http://rockport5.deviantart.com/art/tes ... -132275779

photographybygeorge

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:24 am

paul wrote:It is all in you head! The Zeiss lensis no better than any of the canon L lens.

I was in a Sony store today in San Diego. I bought my own Sandisk card and they let me use their alfa 900 with the Zeiss 16 to 35mm lens to snap a few pictures and compare them to my Canon equipments. When I got home, I was shock, totally shock by the poor quality of the images. The zeiss lens glamour is all in you head.

The sony 16-35 is another monkey lens from sony . Please try the Canon ZM or the nikon ZF .

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Testing the new Zeiss 25mm f2.8 on 5D II