Board index Equipment Digital Cameras new photographer question

Digital Cameras

new photographer question

penske14

new photographer question

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:36 am

hi all,
i am going to indy this year as a photographer but i don't have to much experience with high speed objects. i was wondering what any of you thought about this and what you might use to do the job. considering that digital cameras are going dirt cheap it shouldn't be too hard get outfitted....right?

prinothcat

Re: new photographer question

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:44 am

Off the top of my head, get your gear together and then you might use the nearest freeway as a location to hone your technique. I'm guessing you're going to need to learn to pan shots, holding the camera as steady as possible while following the motion of the cars. This technique will give a better sense of speed as opposed to just trying to stop the motion with a high shutter speed. You're likely going to need a good long, fast telephoto depending on how close you will be allowed to the track, and a good wide angle as well.
Good luck.

peterkwok

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:28 am

prinothcat wrote:Off the top of my head, get your gear together and then you might use the nearest freeway as a location to hone your technique. I'm guessing you're going to need to learn to pan shots, holding the camera as steady as possible while following the motion of the cars. This technique will give a better sense of speed as opposed to just trying to stop the motion with a high shutter speed. You're likely going to need a good long, fast telephoto depending on how close you will be allowed to the track, and a good wide angle as well.
Good luck.

Good suggestion.
To the O.P., you should print this and carry with you to shoot the freeway. In case you are stopped by police, who thinks you are a terrorist. In these days, you will never know.

prinothcat

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:06 am

peterkwok wrote:
prinothcat wrote:Off the top of my head, get your gear together and then you might use the nearest freeway as a location to hone your technique. I'm guessing you're going to need to learn to pan shots, holding the camera as steady as possible while following the motion of the cars. This technique will give a better sense of speed as opposed to just trying to stop the motion with a high shutter speed. You're likely going to need a good long, fast telephoto depending on how close you will be allowed to the track, and a good wide angle as well.
Good luck.

Good suggestion.
To the O.P., you should print this and carry with you to shoot the freeway. In case you are stopped by police, who thinks you are a terrorist. In these days, you will never know.

A very good point. You do never know.... :roll:

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras new photographer question