Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Tamron SP AF 200-500mm f5-6.3 Di LD (IF)

Digital Cameras

Tamron SP AF 200-500mm f5-6.3 Di LD (IF)

toosnvetts

Tamron SP AF 200-500mm f5-6.3 Di LD (IF)

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:29 pm

I would like to hear experiences with this lens. I am currently looking at a Canon 500mm 4L IS and it costs about 6 times as much as the Tamron. Now, I know Canon L Series primes are a gold standard and I love all my Canon lenses but I am not a professional photographer. I want to, leisurely, take pictures of birds in their natural environment. Birder input would be valued as most "good" birding happens in the early morning or late afternoon where the 5-6.3 aperture could become a factor. As a hobbyist, it might be acceptable.

Also is anyone familiar with the resale values of this type of Tamron lens? It may be possible to recoup most of the outlay if dissatisfied. Any information or links to good review sites are appreciated! :D

Oh, is this lens with the Canon mount accepting of the 1.4 Canon TC?

dang

Re: Tamron SP AF 200-500mm f5-6.3 Di LD (IF)

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:54 pm

I'd suggest checking reviews via Google: http://www.google.com/search?q=review+T ... =firefox-a

As far as maintaining value, time will be the answer that. Usually, long zooms by after-market makers lose more return than camera makers lenses. Some of this is due to past problems where lenses stopped working when new bodies were released. Many of the older Sigma, and a few Tamron lenses suffered, requiring rechipping.

Read as much as possible, and you'll be able to make an informed decision.

Good luck, and have fun with whatever lens you get.

toosnvetts

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:36 am

Oh, that's some good reading, Dang. I am definitely not going to get in a hurry on this matter. I was browsing some new Pbase galleries yesterday and saw some "birding" shots on a member's gallery, wish I had saved it, and they were absolutely beautiful. I realize that finished shots can be misleading because editing is a real art but it made me want to research this particular lens.

I will spend some time reading these critiques you sent. Thanks!

bug322

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:08 am

Oh, is this lens with the Canon mount accepting of the 1.4 Canon TC?

If u want to play with converters too, get a good prime like the canon 300MM F4.

I bet the results with the tamron zoom and converter will be worse.

toosnvetts

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:53 am

Yes, thank you! Even without the TC, the reviews Dang sent are saying that the Tamron lens is acceptable to good and that post editing can repair many of the "problems created by shooting wide open". As a hobbyist, I'm really just learning Photoshop and doubt I can correct many of the things they were discussing, yet. I am going to continue to read and evaluate the situation further. I really am in no hurry. :wink:

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Tamron SP AF 200-500mm f5-6.3 Di LD (IF)