Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Help with Canon G5 & Action Shots ? Help appreciated

Digital Cameras

Help with Canon G5 & Action Shots ? Help appreciated

dibdobbs

Help with Canon G5 & Action Shots ? Help appreciated

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:02 am

Can you help please. I have a Canon G5 and also a Canon D60. Whilst I am pleased with the G5 and the quality of pics, I am finding it difficult taking action shots. I find the delay on the shutter causes me to "miss the moment".

I am taking my children for a special visit to Disneyworld in Florida, and am thinking ahead regarding which "kit" to take. My D60 is too heavy for everyday use around the Theme Parks, but I fear my G5 will be too "slow" to catch them on the rides.

Any advice on how to set it up, or what I might be missing would be appreciated.

Thanks, :lol:

Debs (UK) !

sheila

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:16 am

Hi Debs

I can only speak for the G2 which I had before my present D60. While the shutter action isn't the fastest in the west, the D60 is far better to take for these kind of shots than a point and shoot. A couple of years ago, I tried out the G2 at a motorcycle ride day my husband was participating in and the shots were great - that's if you like shots of track fences with no bike in! This shot was taken with my D60 at Eastern Creek, just outside Sydney

If you shoot Tv with your D60, setting the shutter speed as high as you can get away with for the ambient light, you should get some good shots. If you are losing DOF for the higher shutter speed, then raise the ISO to compensate. Also try changing the AF mode from One Shot to AI Servo. I don't know what lenses you have with the D60 as these can make a difference to focussing quickly.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

mgreenslade

"D60 Heavy"?

Post Mon May 10, 2004 4:28 pm

I understand when you say HEAVY, but, if you want great shots I would say...Put up with the Weight and definately take the D60. I lug my 10D everywhere I go, afterall thats why I bought it. You could regret it if you Dont. :(

http://www.mikezite.co.uk

Mike.

castledude

Post Mon May 10, 2004 5:49 pm

1) If the shots are important then take both cameras. I would hate to lose a once in a lifetime event due to failure. Lock up the unused camera in the hotel safe.

2) The actual shutter delay on a G5 is about the same as the D60. The difference is focus time. If you can practice with opening up the lens to f8 on apeture priority then you should be able to get a pretty good DOF. Then use manual focus to do a guess on a distance (practice) and you can do some pretty nifty stuff. It will be a little trickier in dark areas but you can always prefocus on something nearby focus lock then move over for that shot. If you have a dog have the kids throw a frisbie to it and take some action shots of the dog. If you don't have a dog take the kids out to a park for a little football...

corne

hope this helps

Post Wed May 12, 2004 10:45 am

Not clued up on the G5 but did have a Sony dsc-s75 king of shutter lag but it can be improved. If G5 is the same as most cameras out there half press the shutter relese to obtain focus on the subject keep it in till the subject is in view then fully depress the shutter relese. This use to improve the lag on the sony 500% and i got some nice shots that way. hope this is of some use to you. As for the d60 it is the better option to use, the weight is the price you pay for a good shot. like a tripod a light weight one is great for carting around but not as stable as a nice and weighty one. the price for a great shot is a weight.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Help with Canon G5 & Action Shots ? Help appreciated