Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon Digial Rebel - Err 99

Digital Cameras

Canon Digial Rebel - Err 99

declanmckiernan

Canon Digial Rebel - Err 99

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:17 pm

On Saturday afternoon while taking some photos I encountered an Err 99 message on my digital rebel. I was using the lens that was supplied with the kit and had a fully charged battery and a CF 512Mb card with only 10 pictures on it.

The camera had taken 10 perfectly fine pictures before it stopped working. I tried everything to get it working again ... changed the lens, took out the battery for 2 hours, deleted the last photo I had taken from the CF card, turned the image display off, eventually I formatted the entire CF card. None of these seemed to fix it - I continued to get the Err 99 message every time I tried to take a photo.

Later that night, I started taking random shots indoors and all of a sudden it started working again. It made no sense?!?!? Has anyone else experienced this? I've searched on Google and found quite a few people have encountered this with their Digital Rebels - but no one seems to know what causes it.

Would like to hear from anyone who has experienced this and knows what causes it or how to repair it.

Thanks,

Declan

ukexpat

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:04 pm

A quick Google search reveals quite a few links on this subject:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... non+Err+99

Personally, I have never experienced it on my 10D or my D30 -- which probably means it will start now!!

fastuno

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:11 am

Yes, I have seen the same thing with a sigma lens from someon else. I think they had the 70-300mm lens on a 300d. When I tried the lens on my 10d the same results. It turns out that this person had to send the lens back to sigma to have a chip updated. Took about 3 weeks.!

The lens came back & no reported issues since then.

declanmckiernan

Thanks!

Post Wed May 05, 2004 8:19 pm

Thanks for your comments guys. I'm suprised out of all the Digital Rebel users on this site that so few of us are affected by this. But the good news is - I haven't had the same problem since. I just hope it doesn't come back.

Regards,

Declan

polyvios

Post Wed May 05, 2004 8:42 pm

I get Error 99 when I use my 20year old 50mm in burst on a 10D, I contacted Canon and they said that lenses that old need to be rechiped etc, they even offered to do it in-store for free! Haven't really done it yet though...

According to the manual (10D) Error 99 is pretty much any UN-identify-able error so it could be anything.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon Digial Rebel - Err 99