Board index Equipment Digital Cameras How much better is D90 to D40?

Digital Cameras

How much better is D90 to D40?

chunfye

How much better is D90 to D40?

Post Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi guys,

I have a D40 with 18-200mmVR and 50mm f1.8 and thinking of upgrading to D90. I thought of upgrading when I took pictures in a concert with the 50mm f1.8. Manual focus is really tough when the subject is moving and I wish the ISO performance of my D40 could be better. I didn't use an external flash as I prefer natural lighting. Has anyone got an idea if the D90 is significantly better than the D40?

jsabater

Re: How much better is D90 to D40?

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi,
I actually upgraded my D40x to D90 last November-2008. The upgrade is well worth it. Picture quality is superb and a mile away from the D40x. I also have a 50mm 1.8 and can now autofocus on the D90. The D90 controls are far better than the D40x. The grip is also better but i still got an MB-D80 to give me better vertical grip. Note that vertical grip is not possible on the D40x. There's also a lot of other features on the D90 which are not found on the D40x like better D-lighting controls, bigger and better back lcd, depth of field preview, etc. Please visit dpreview and Ken Rockwell's review of the D90 to get more technical and detailed info -
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90/
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm
Hope this helps

photobuggg

Re: How much better is D90 to D40?

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:10 am

Thank you for sharing your experience. Someone actually suggests that I go for the Canon 40D as it's price is the same as the D90 but it's a semi-pro body. I am not sure if the 40D is that much better that worth the effort to jump to Canon. Gonna go down to one of the shops and have a hands-on feel of the bodies next week.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras How much better is D90 to D40?