Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Do you use live view in Canon camera and why?

Digital Cameras

Do you use live view in Canon camera and why?

hiero

Re: Do you use live view in Canon camera and why?

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:54 pm

I did use it for some macro shots, but only very recently became enthusiastic about its use when doing night architecture shots with long exposures. Normally in the dark it's very difficult to get your focus exactly right. The viewfinder is just too dark, and AF unreliable. In these circumstances live view is great! Focussing is very easy then, just by magnifying the area you want to be in focus and manually adjust the focus. Did a series this way of the buildings on the university campus where I work, almost all with the Canon 40D live view: http://www.pbase.com/hiero/uithofnightstudies (except "Limy" and "Tomorrow's stars")
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

melvinsurdin

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:47 am

I need to learn how to use it ....

blumarble

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:25 am

I typically use it in place of the mirror lockup feature when shooting at slower shutter speeds on tripod. Rather than set the mirror lockup and have to hit the shutter release twice, I hit the live view button - make sure nothings moving in the LCD - then shoot.
With exposure simulation enabled, I can get a good preview of the exposure, particularly when I'm trying to adjust compensation. This is particularly useful if using a neutral density filter. I have a 10x ND filter that I use occasionally; not only can I frame and focus with live view -- where I can barely see anything through the viewfinder -- it also makes getting the right exposure easier. You can also more readily see what you'll get with depth-of-field preview.
I also use it occasionally when riding my motorcycle; I can take out the camera and take a quick shot without having to remove my helmet in order to get my eye to the viewfinder.
I actually think it's one of the most useful "newer" features of DSLRs!

moxfactor

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:36 pm

i "spray and pray" if i need to shoot from an arms lifted pointing downwards, and most of the time i can get the angles i need with minimal cropping. if from a low enough point where my jaw will get in the way or that i cannot lie flat on the ground, i have a right angle attachment(3rd party, about 1/10 the cost of the Nikon one) which does the job perfectly where i can manual focus quite well, where i will use it if i know i'll be shooting mostly waist height or lower (insects mainly). less dizziness this way rather than constantly crouching and standing up for several hours on end. not to mention the 2x magnifier on the right angle device.

Previous

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Do you use live view in Canon camera and why?