Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Do you use live view in Canon camera and why?

Digital Cameras

Do you use live view in Canon camera and why?

samiramis

Do you use live view in Canon camera and why?

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:22 am

I am a bad photographer but do you talented people use live view with canon camera or look in viewfinder and take the photo?

When will you use live view and when will you not use it and why?

gracias.

ryxin

Re: Do you use live view in Canon camera and why?

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:09 am

^-^ i don't have much known about that camera. as i am using Premier digi camera. anyways can you hear the music from your camera when you made some video?

akmc_in_au

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:50 am

samiramis wrote:I am a bad photographer but do you talented people use live view with canon camera or look in viewfinder and take the photo?

When will you use live view and when will you not use it and why?

"Talented" may be stretching it in my case but I'll give you an answer anyway. :lol:

The main advantages of Live View seems to be twofold:
(a) When you want to take shots unobtrusively, such as candids. For example, http://www.pbase.com/akmc_in_au/image/99805453/original
(b) When you simply can't contort yourself around sufficiently to get your eye to the viewfinder. For example, there's a lookout on the road between Sydney and Canberra. The last time I was there I had to elevate the camera so far up on the tripod to get a view over the barrier that there was no way on earth I could possibly see what I was shooting, and had to make a best guess as I had only my 300D at the time. If I'd had the 40D with me, I'd have been able to get some decent framing on the shots.

The major "downside" (though whether this is really a downside or not is in the eye of the beholder) is that because of the way Live View works you can't rely on auto-focussing; you'll need to do it manually. However on cameras which have reasonably sized screens (such as my 40D), that's not all that difficult to do.

As an extension of point (b), the Canon Live View software can also be used so that you can "look" through the lens via (say) your computer notebook's monitor. Granted this won't be something that you'll be doing often, and very rarely outdoors, but it does aid you if you're doing self portraiture, for example. I've played around with that, though I haven't done any shots that are "keepers". However self portraiture is a pain to do for most people I think (there are a few PBasers who are remarkably good at it), so every advantage that you can give yourself will help.

Other than (a) or (b) above, though, I'd tend to stick with the viewfinder.

halesr

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:50 pm

I shoot through the view finder. Compose for center and edges. I learned using a film camera and that was the only option. Perhaps I am stuck in the past, but this is what works for me.--Rene

yardbird

Post Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:35 pm

I mostly use the viewfinder but I do use the Liveview occasionaly mainly for the reasons already mentioned. I was at a wedding and I wanted a view from above the people and I could frame it better with live view. Otherwise I would have just taken a wide angle shot and cropped.

Also when I have strangers take a photo of me I give it to them in liveview as they are more used to their point and shoot.

rileypm

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:37 am

I am really new to DSLR but even with my old point and shoots, I always used the view finder and would not buy a camera for myself without one. I find the screen info sometimes useful on my Canon Xsi but mostly it is because I forget to turn the display off. Otherwise I use the screen to review the photos arlready taken.

goldengaelsphotos

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:27 pm

Have never turned on this feature on either of my 1D MkIII's. What a useless capability for a camera you only choose for high speed action (e.g., sports) when it operates with the mirror up and the regular auto focus disabled.

peirceman

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:43 am

I agree with akmc. There are times when you just can't get your eye to the viewfinder and being able to use the LCD is huge. Much better than spray and pray.

rileypm

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:46 am

The screen on my 450D is fixed and therefore does not rotate. If I can get a good look at the screen, I can get my eye to the view finder. I just don't see the point in live view, as yet anyway.

dougj

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:52 am

I used it once to check the focus of a lens. There are some areas it may be useful, e.g. macro, astro.

akmc_in_au

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:06 am

rileypm wrote:The screen on my 450D is fixed and therefore does not rotate. If I can get a good look at the screen, I can get my eye to the view finder.

I've already given one example where that's not the case. There are others, particularly where you're taking the shot from an elevated, low or tight position. You don't always need your view of the screen to be perfect, but since it's larger than the viewfinder and you can see it without needing to be directly behind it, it offers a much better chance of getting a decent framing than as peirceman correctly put it, spray and pray.

rileypm

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:46 am

I am sorry akmc_in_au, I am not arguing with you, I am just relating my experience and offering my opinion and I stick by both. Only under perfect lighting conditions can I (just speaking for myself, now) see an image on the camera screen. If I am dead on facing it, then I can indeed see an image on the screen that I feel comfortable with and that affords me the opportunity to use the view finder. Maybe these are just my limitations but it is "my" experience.

chardinej

Post Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:40 am

Yes. Critical focus at close, macro range. AF or focusing through viewfinder do not provide consistent results.

gpaai

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:17 pm

akmc_in_au wrote:The major "downside" (though whether this is really a downside or not is in the eye of the beholder) is that because of the way Live View works you can't rely on auto-focussing; you'll need to do it manually.

If I understand this video correctly, you may be able to set the 40D live view to enable auto focus. If not, I stand corrected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpbd4Q4r-5A
I love photoshopography.......

peterkwok

Never

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:30 am

My 50D has Live View. But I don't use it for 2 reasons.
(1) The optical viewfinder is faster. I cannot stand the lag of the LCD screen. AF also works much faster and better with the optical VF.
(2) One can hold the camera much more steady when pressed against ones forehead. Your inner ears can keep your head steady. You may not realize that you are shaking when holding the camera at arm's length. This is the most important reason for not using Live View.

Next

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Do you use live view in Canon camera and why?