Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Switching SD card between Nikon and Canon Cameras

Digital Cameras

Switching SD card between Nikon and Canon Cameras

obiwan_kenobi

Switching SD card between Nikon and Canon Cameras

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:46 am

I am surprised to find that all the pictures taking by a Nikon D40x, and subsequently a Canon Ixus 860, cannot be read when I insert the same SD card into my Nikon D90. Would have thought that all the pictures on the same card should be read despite the camera body. The D90 says "No files in Folders" and the full capacity of the card is available.

Can anyone shed some light? Much appreciated.

prinothcat

Re: Switching SD card between Nikon and Canon Cameras

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:50 am

Most basic possibility, Nikon firmware doesn't recognize Canon's file format and vice versa. Yes they are both .jpg's most likely but they use different naming conventions and file structures. If you were to put the card in a card reader attached to your computer and I bet all the images are readable.

dougj

Re: Switching SD card between Nikon and Canon Cameras

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:29 am

A lot (some/most?) of the Canon cameras write the photos to a file folder created by the camera's software on the card. Even if your photos are in the standard JPG format, the Nikon camera probably isn't programmed to look in folders/locations it has not created or used. You can check this by inserting the card into a card reader in your PC and use Windows Explorer to look at the file & folder structure. In the past I've copied JPGs to one of the Canon folders on the card and they displayed on the cameras rear display.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Switching SD card between Nikon and Canon Cameras