Board index Equipment Digital Cameras D70 or 10D?

Digital Cameras

D70 or 10D?

knoxman

D70 or 10D?

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:25 pm

I'm having quite a time deciding between the cameras here. I have used the Digital Rebel quite a bit now and can say I would greatly prefer a metal body. I have felt and was impressed with the D70, but have not had the opportunity to see the 10D. $2000 is a LOT of money for a camera (to me, since it's just a new-found hobby).

Honestly, I'm a beginner. The G5 was my last camera and I hated it (too slow and not impressed with quality), but have had iffy results with the 300D. I notice that both the D70 and 300D seemed to underexpose a bit in auto-mode... I've much more to learn, but would like to know if anyone would be able to give some idea? The D70 seems like a better camera than the 300D, but the main issue now is do I want to get "locked in" with Canon or Nikon, since it's the lenses that matter most. I know Canon has some sweet lenses...

I"m sure both are overkill for me, but I also know I won't be satisfied with the Pro1 or anything like that.

Thanks --

Michael

ukexpat

Re: D70 or 10D?

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:02 pm

knoxman wrote:I'm having quite a time deciding between the cameras here. I have used the Digital Rebel quite a bit now and can say I would greatly prefer a metal body. I have felt and was impressed with the D70, but have not had the opportunity to see the 10D. $2000 is a LOT of money for a camera (to me, since it's just a new-found hobby).

Honestly, I'm a beginner. The G5 was my last camera and I hated it (too slow and not impressed with quality), but have had iffy results with the 300D. I notice that both the D70 and 300D seemed to underexpose a bit in auto-mode... I've much more to learn, but would like to know if anyone would be able to give some idea? The D70 seems like a better camera than the 300D, but the main issue now is do I want to get "locked in" with Canon or Nikon, since it's the lenses that matter most. I know Canon has some sweet lenses...

I"m sure both are overkill for me, but I also know I won't be satisfied with the Pro1 or anything like that.

Thanks --

Michael

Sounds like you need to spend some time mastering the 300D. Moving up to the 10D will not help you -- it just adds more features and settings that will add to your confusion. Don't forget that the camera is just a tool, it is the user that takes the pictures.

gschmickle

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:13 pm

knoxman wrote:I"m sure both are overkill for me, but I also know I won't be satisfied with the Pro1 or anything like that.

Hey, nothing is overkill if you have the money to spend and the willingness to learn! You can't go wrong with either Canon's or Nikon's lens systems. Both offer great lenses. If money is an issue, stick with the D70 or 300D. They are both capable of taking the same quality images as the 10D. The D70 has a little edge over the 300D in feature set and build if you want to spend a little more for it.

One thing you quickly learn in the DSLR world is that its a "hands on" environment. You should be willing to spend at least a little time post-processing your images. That said, I'm often thankful when cameras lean towards underexposure. In the digital world it is much easier to fix an underexposed shot in software. Once you overexpose and burn out a highlight, there's nothing that can be done to fix it.

-Guy

budiraha

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:33 pm

knoxman wrote:I'm having quite a time deciding between the cameras here. I have used the Digital Rebel quite a bit now and can say I would greatly prefer a metal body.
Thanks --

Michael

FYI, D70 body is plastic also, it's a black plastic :wink:

johnny21

D70

Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:35 pm

I just got me a Nikon D70, it's a great cammera. I don't know the D100, but I don't think it is worth the extra money, unless you're a pro. Check out my latest pictures
http://www.pbase.com/johnny21/softball_vs_unicorns

lord_of_the_badgers

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:42 am

here's my suggestion.

please FORGET about upgrading to d70/10d for the moment. Get used to your camera. it's not worth it really!! (i'm a d100 user for the record)
suggest you join somewhere like http://www.dpreview.com and it's forums, as I did. You learn so much from that. post questions. ask. learn. i knew nothing at all when i started with my d100 and it took a good while to get pix that were really up to my expectations.

Patience...! :)

in the meantime:

use AV & TV modes, not P. Most of us that have been doing this a while use these and even Manual mode.
The most useful is being able to control the lens' aperture. the camera sets the shutter speeds for you. It won't be easy at first, but please stay away from P mode.

buy a better lens than the kit lens (ok i'm assuming), instead of another more expensive camera (if you were thinking of 10d). I would spend as much as poss on lenses.

remember the 300d pix are sposed to be equal in quality to the 10d. and the d70 is only, in some cases, marginally better.

hope that helps :)

castledude

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:32 pm

I really agree with lord_of_the_badgers comments. Although I prefer http://www.steves-digicams.com for it's forums.

Just a few more comments/suggestions:

Pick up the grip for the 300D this will give you a heftier feel and twice the batterys.

I've played with the 300D and 10D and all the features that are missing will not be missed by and amature photographer. All of them really revolve around the use of the flash.

All DSLRs expect you to post process your images. Learn about the RAW mode and start using it, learn about levels in Photoshop/Photoelements etc. To say it again get out of auto mode if you really want to be serious.

lord_of_the_badgers

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:41 pm

thanks mate

i would also add that i would advise on using different metering if the 300d supports it - i've heard it doesn't have Spot Metering (?) which is a useful creative tool - but if it has a center weighted metering setting, try and use this whereby bright light might dictate too much: eg:

here i metered the center of the pic, the lighter bits of the church

ilcielostellato

Nikkor lenses on the Digital Rebel ?

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:52 pm

I also have to decide between these 2 cameras.
I have nice Nikon lenses (Nikkor 300 f/4 ED, 24mm f2,8 and a 100 mm f2,8 for Nikon F3) and I guess if these lenses may fit
the new Nikon D70 and The Digital Rebel. In case is possible to fit my lenses also on the Canon Eos 300D, I think the eoss will be my new camera!!
Someone can give me these informations ???

ukexpat

Re: Nikkor lenses on the Digital Rebel ?

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:47 pm

ilcielostellato wrote:I also have to decide between these 2 cameras.
I have nice Nikon lenses (Nikkor 300 f/4 ED, 24mm f2,8 and a 100 mm f2,8 for Nikon F3) and I guess if these lenses may fit
the new Nikon D70 and The Digital Rebel. In case is possible to fit my lenses also on the Canon Eos 300D, I think the eoss will be my new camera!!
Someone can give me these informations ???

See my reply in the other thread:

http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=4035

karusel

Post Tue May 04, 2004 4:23 pm

When in market for SLR's remember you're not buying just a camera, you're buying a system. And as far as I can tell from experience of others, Canon simply has better lenses and more of them, like it or not, it's one step ahead. I've read an explanation of a professional 20 year+ german photographer of why he went for Canon after he's been using Nikon for all his life.

You don't have to believe me, nor flame me. Whatever camera you want to buy, first take a look at quality/price of lenses you'll be using, and then decide. Consider that you'll be using your lens for years to come, while you may want to replace your camera on a yearly basis.

tristantom

Post Tue May 18, 2004 11:30 pm

i don't think anyone could make the claim that Canon lenses are higher quality than Nikon, or vice versa. it's probably a wash; they are really about equal. actually, i would lean towards Nikon in terms of lens quality. i have heard a lot of Canon owners complain about quality control issues with their lenses.

i have a D70 and it's *way* faster than the 10d. also the 3d matrix metering and autofocus system are also faster. it also has 1/500 flash sync versus Canon's 1/200. i'm not a brand zeolot but am very impressed with the Nikon D70 in virtually every area, yet it costs less than a 10d. i thought about getting a 10d but would have had to spend more money and also there is no Canon equivalent 18-70 zoom lens like the one that comes bundled with the Nikon; i would have had to spend a lot more for a Canon zoom lens and then it wouldn't have even gone to 70mm.

waffull

Post Wed May 19, 2004 11:36 pm

[quote="castledude"]

All DSLRs expect you to post process your images.
[quote]

I beg to differ. The jpegs that come out of the Fujifilm S2 are production ready. No need to spend a lot of time converting raws, etc... etc... etc...

As long as you use the A or S modes, you only end up needing to photoshop maybe 1 out of every 100 shots you take.

That being said, the S3 may not be the same.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras D70 or 10D?