Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon G10 or Panasonic LX3 or Nikon P6000

Digital Cameras

Canon G10 or Panasonic LX3 or Nikon P6000

djwixx

Or Olympus Evolt E510 with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:06 am

niekirk wrote:If you're thinking about a high-end compact, why not have a look at the Panasonic G1. A bit larger than the others listed, but a bit smaller than an SLR, and with interchangeable lenses.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/news/2008/09/12/Panasonic-Announces-First-Micro-Four-Thirds-Camera-And-Lenses/p1

I have to admit after some of the reading I did I liked the idea (a lot!!), but the price near $1000 with two lenses made it an expensive option - in my opinion. I would also like to see some real world results before committing, but it's only just out, so probably worth a six month wait for results/reviews/price drop etc.

I notice the option below for about $550, which, whilst not being very small, at least gives something with a great deal of scope in a smallish package, and price wise isn't too much more than the options originally mentioned.
Olympus Evolt E510 10MP Digital SLR Camera with CCD Shift Image Stabilization and 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zuiko Lenses
(the E410 is even cheaper and smaller but didn't have image stabilization so was a put off)

What do you think, bearing in mind I'm after a do it all package (mostly) that doesn't break the bank but is carryable in a small bag.

Thanks.

madlights

Re: Canon G10 or Panasonic LX3 or Nikon P6000

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:27 pm

If you can wait....Olympus is coming out probably next year with a micro four thirds - sort of a rangefinder type camera. Four thirds sensor like the Panasonic micro Four Thirds DSLR, interchangeable lenses (and very small lenses physically), and the camera not much bigger (if not smaller) than many point and shoots. Not sure when, or what price...but seems definitely in the offing. They've already shown a prototype. Just do a google on 'micro four thirds', all kinds of info. Know it has me interested...since many older lenses...because of the lens to sensor distance, will be adaptable if the format catches on, even quite possibly some older Minolta manual focus lenses which were problematical in being adapted to anything else. As far as I understand, and might be wrong, there aren't many lenses (if anyone bothers to make the adapters) which couldn't be adapted to shoot at least in the manual focus mode. It seems it has the promise of being a very versatile system...and very small and easy to carry, but with the capabilities and photographic quality of a DSLR.

djwixx

Re: Canon G10 or Panasonic LX3 or Nikon P6000

Post Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:21 am

madlights wrote:If you can wait....Olympus is coming out probably next year with a micro four thirds - sort of a rangefinder type camera. Four thirds sensor like the Panasonic micro Four Thirds DSLR, interchangeable lenses (and very small lenses physically), and the camera not much bigger (if not smaller) than many point and shoots. Not sure when, or what price...but seems definitely in the offing. They've already shown a prototype. Just do a google on 'micro four thirds', all kinds of info. Know it has me interested...since many older lenses...because of the lens to sensor distance, will be adaptable if the format catches on, even quite possibly some older Minolta manual focus lenses which were problematical in being adapted to anything else. As far as I understand, and might be wrong, there aren't many lenses (if anyone bothers to make the adapters) which couldn't be adapted to shoot at least in the manual focus mode. It seems it has the promise of being a very versatile system...and very small and easy to carry, but with the capabilities and photographic quality of a DSLR.

Thanks.

I've seen the Panasonic G1 available. Luckily my current requirement has moved out a few months, so I'll be interested to see how much the price moves as the current single lens option is about $800. For that I could consider a Leica V-LUX, just for the hell of it!!!!

Previous

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon G10 or Panasonic LX3 or Nikon P6000