G5
67%
FZ10
33%

Total votes : 12

snoopy42

Panasonic FZ10 or Canon G5

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:08 am

I am in the process of buying a new digital camera, the 2 cameras that i 'like' so far are the Panasonic FZ10 and Canon G5. What is the general concensus of these 2 cameras???

Is the "OIS" feature on the Panasonic overrated or is it a good function to have.

Why do more photogarpers have G5's against FZ10's.

Are there better cameras available for similar pricing.

Thanks in advance for any comments. :)

snoopy42

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:36 am

Also is the Canon Pro1 that much better than a G5 for the dollar value???

sl668

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:08 am

If you like FZ10, you might also like Canon S1 IS which also equips with OIS, but cheaper, smaller. It also has fully rotational LCD that helps you to take odd angles picture, and remote control capability that helps to take picture (particular night scene) at every exact moment (no need to use self timer). It also use cheaper memory (CF) and battery (AA).

chenzhepeter

Post Tue May 18, 2004 4:41 am

Yeah,S1 is much cheaper but also much weaker in function.
First,3M pixels in S1 and 4M pixels in Fz10
Second, The aperture is full region 2.8 which is the best in all long focus machines.
Third, Full manual function and manual focus ring.
Fourth, compatible with flash lamp.
Fifth,large focus region 420mm Vs 380MM
Still Lots of advantages, cooler looking, larger lens, black color....and so on.

G5 and Fz10 is not the same product line.
G5 should be chosen from 717,5700,S7000 and A1.
Fz10 should be chosen from S1,C750,C770,Z1,Z2,Kodak 6490.

IF you cann't distinguish the huge differences between the two lines, you are definitely wasting your money no matter The Pro1 or G5 you buy.

corne

tried the FZ10 My 2c worth

Post Tue May 18, 2004 5:58 am

Over rated it is not worth the bucks. Go to a dealer and hold the piece of plastic its cheap and nasty. The test the zoom and when you think it is a good spot touch the lens. Not what you whould expect from a lens with Leica on it it is again cheap and nasty as Leica only suplies the glass ware not the tube. In my opinion it is an ok short term camera for the snap shot once ore twice a month but if you plan to put it to good use. dont think it will last 2000 clicks without a lens failure of some sort I might be wrong thoug. The picture quality is not bad but its not in the same class as a G5. I have to say that a few closeup shots I took was realy good and sharp. Colour reproduction can be changed with software but at its price should you have to. I have learnt one thing over the past couple of years if you want a camera buy a brand who have been in the camera buisness for a couple of years. Others offer more bells and wistles at less cost but they also change modles every year with new ccd's new lenses new power source all the latest goes into it, cameras from the old boys tend to use the same batery source same lenses and same ccd's. They do change in shape and feature to keep with the trend but the basics almost never change as the product was tested before it was put on the market. last note what does Panasonic specialize in: TV, VCR, DVD HI FI, Microwaves, Air Cinditioners, Hair driers, Computers, CAMERAS..... or is it sales hear od Jack of all trades master of none

Now Before I get bombarded with coments on my opinion I heard it all from the sales guy when I askd him the same question. And Canon makes copiers and printers was his remark but its still image reproduction is it not like take a photo and print it. Rest my case

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Panasonic FZ10 or Canon G5