Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens

Digital Cameras

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens

la_vista_baby

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:55 pm

Hello, I am lost in the lens world.... I am looking to move away from the kit lens on my Canon, and I was hoping to find a lens that would be fast, sharp, and so that it would not break my bank completely. I predominantly photograph family members, including pets, and I would like to be able to capture movement better. How is Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens for such tasks??? Is it worth trying or is there something better to choose from? I would appreciate any feedback - I am so anxcious to try out a better faster lens, but I do not know where to start....

snappingturtle

Re: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:26 pm

That lens is a great lens for the price and is very sharp. At under $100 it is the most you will get out of that money. The construction is cheap however, which bothers some people. Everything except the glass is plastic and it lacks the USM motar for quick and quiet focusing. The most popular of the normal lens family in Canon is the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. It is said to be just as sharp, but has a USM motar, better construction, and one fstop advantage.

la_vista_baby

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Thanks for your reply! Cheap construction does not bother me as long as the quality of shots is superb. An extra stop, however, might be really worth the price difference!

ken_bat

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:23 pm

I absolutely agree with htsung. The 50mm f1.8 II has great optics. It's just a shame that they are contained in such a cheap, plastic housing.
A few years ago, despite my reservations regarding the construction, I purchased the 50mm f1.8 II as it was quite inexpensive and I knew the optics were good. Well, the initial pictures were very sharp — and that was on a full-frame camera — but I soon got spooked by how loose and plasticky everything felt. It felt like just the act of attaching and removing the lens could possibly damage it.

I don't consider myself to be a 'heavy' user, but after a few outings I decided to trade it in before it fell apart on me. I wound up getting the 50mm f1.4 which was definitely a step or two up in overall construction. Yes, it was a little more expensive, (but not unreasonably so) and a little larger and heavier, but the optical quality was just great (pretty much equal or better than the 1.8 II) and it was very quiet and decently-made. I should have bought the 1.4 in the first place, but I guess I had to learn for myself.

The 50mm f1.8 II has the best glass you're going to get for the money. No question. But that great glass won't do what it's supposed to if it's not held snugly in it's mount, exactly perpendicular to the sensor/image plain. —You did say that you'd like to move away from your 'kit' lens. Why go to another one?

Take what I've said for what it's worth to you. We all perceive things a little differently. Have fun with whatever choice you make. :)

Ken

tringhenge

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:21 pm

I've got this lens. Yes, it feels plasticky. Yes, the motor is a little rough. But for the money it is an absolute steal, by far the best value lens I've seen. I get this out when the light goes, when I just want to concentrate on image composition (no zooming the lens, zoom yourself with the feet function ;) ) or when I just want the challenge of taking shots with a simple prime.

Buy one and enjoy it. If you get good results you can always upgrade to the f1.4 version.

jabtas

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:06 pm

For me the 50/1.8 is an essential purchase for any EOS owner.
Given its plastic, but it just oozes picture quality.

A BIG plus, is that it's such a cheap price, that you could easily buy it and give it a go
If you find you didnt like it, sell it on at a very small loss

Examples of the results from my Nifty Fifty (and my other lenses) can be found here
http://www.pbase.com/jabtas/images_sorted_by_lens
Tim
Canon EOS 70D
Canon EOS 20D
Canon EOS 300D
Oly C4000
Canon EOS 50e
My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/jabtas

jniemann

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:36 pm

The EF-50mm f/1.8 is a great lens for the price.
Just don't drop it (like I did), because the cheap plastic housing will just fall apart :shock:

After I overcame my depression about destroying my f1.8, I upgraded to the 1.4.

toosnvetts

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:08 am

I just have to echo what the others said. After I took up photography, I kept reading that it was an indespensible piece of hardware for the price and it sure is. It gives you a chance to experiment with a fast lens cheaply. If it breaks or you get more serious, you can move up. I still love mine after two years!

la_vista_baby

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:49 am

Thanks for your comments - I am confident now that this is the best bet for both my pocket and my aspirations! I appreciate you taking time to respond! I can't wait to get it now! And, jniemann, I will try my best not to drop it :lol:

Cheers,
Asta

jniemann

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:11 am

Here is what a broken one looks like :shock:
Notice the broken Ribbon cable. Nasty.
http://www.pbase.com/jniemann/image/102981383

stuart_bolin

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:21 am

I recently purchased the EF 50mm 1:1.2 L lens. Very high speed, great optics and excessive price, even with a discount. I tend to take a lot of available light images with tripod and often have long exposure times so sharpness is a must. As a fast "normal" lens this is a great lens and the fragility of the equipment is not an issue, only the price.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens