Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 10D battery indicator

Digital Cameras

Canon 10D battery indicator

sgm30

Canon 10D battery indicator

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:50 pm

Even though I have tried an overnight recharge of 2 batteries my 10d has suddenly decided to only show 1 bar on the battery indicator in the LCD screen :cry: . I also use a G2 which uses the same battery but that appears to be ok .. anybody had similar experience :? :?

ukexpat

Re: Canon 10D battery indicator

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:31 pm

sgm30 wrote:Even though I have tried an overnight recharge of 2 batteries my 10d has suddenly decided to only show 1 bar on the battery indicator in the LCD screen :cry: . I also use a G2 which uses the same battery but that appears to be ok .. anybody had similar experience :? :?

I guess it is possible that part of the LCD display on your 10D has died...but it would be unusual. Do the batteries show any sign of loss of capacity when used in your 10D. Also check that the terminals are clean (a pencil eraser is a useful cleaning tool).

thobson

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:20 am

I also have a G2 and a 10D. The only similar problem I experienced is when I bought the G2. The LCD worked fine except that the battery indicator did not show. Canon replaced the camera and all was fine. I would vote for a hardware probelm with the camera.

dougj

Post Mon May 03, 2004 2:26 pm

This can be a miscalibration of the battery indicator in the 10D (it’s confused), caused by removing the battery before it is discharged and inserting a charged battery. You can try installing a fully charged battery and let the camera operate until it is fully discharged, this should recalibrate the battery indicator. This is the same issue with LiON batteries in notebook PCs.

- Doug

sgm30

canon 10d battery indicator

Post Mon May 17, 2004 9:37 pm

Many thanks to all who rallied to my call for help. The winner is ..... dougj for his 'confused battery indicator' .. I was becoming paranoid about losing power in mid photo shoot and often replaced a partially discharged cell with a known 'full' one! I cleared the problem by setting up the slide-show facility and just let the camera completely 'kill' the battery (took quite some time) , then with a newly charged cell installed - voila!! a healthy indicator . Much relief as I'd bought the camera in the U.S. last August (2003) and wasn't relishing a trip into Canon's 'World-Wide Guarantee' jungle ......thanks again :D :D

dougj

Post Tue May 18, 2004 10:16 pm

I'm glad this worked for you, using Slide Show to drain the battery is a good idea. It is a pain to completely kill a fully charged battery.

- Doug

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 10D battery indicator