Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Tech. Question, ...Digital depth of field vs. film?????????

Digital Cameras

Tech. Question, ...Digital depth of field vs. film?????????

bensonphoto

Tech. Question, ...Digital depth of field vs. film?????????

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:27 pm

Hello,
I recently adapted an 85mm 1.5 lens, and a 50mm 1.4 lens to my Sigma SD-9. I noticed that my focus was off and realized that my depth of field was perhaps one half or one third of what my viewfinder image displayed. I am viewing the image with the lens stopped down and believe what I see should translate onto the image. I placed a row of about 10 nails into a board. They were about 2-3 centimeters apart, and I focused on the center nail. My viewfinder showed 1 or 2 nails in front of my focal point to be sharp, and about 3 or 4 behind the focal point. This coincides with my knowledge of depth of field (1/3 in front and 2/3 behind focal point) ...But, my image showed FAR less depth of field, with a total of 2, and sometimes 3 nails appearing focused. My shooting distance was about two meters.

...Can anybody explain this to me? I can also be reached at: bnsnphoto@aol.com Sincerely, Neil Benson

castledude

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:19 pm

Are you pushing the Depth of Field (DOF) preview button? (on the front of the camera).

ukexpat

Re: Tech. Question, ...Digital depth of field vs. film??????

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:05 pm

bensonphoto wrote:Hello,
I recently adapted an 85mm 1.5 lens, and a 50mm 1.4 lens to my Sigma SD-9. I noticed that my focus was off and realized that my depth of field was perhaps one half or one third of what my viewfinder image displayed. I am viewing the image with the lens stopped down and believe what I see should translate onto the image. I placed a row of about 10 nails into a board. They were about 2-3 centimeters apart, and I focused on the center nail. My viewfinder showed 1 or 2 nails in front of my focal point to be sharp, and about 3 or 4 behind the focal point. This coincides with my knowledge of depth of field (1/3 in front and 2/3 behind focal point) ...But, my image showed FAR less depth of field, with a total of 2, and sometimes 3 nails appearing focused. My shooting distance was about two meters.

...Can anybody explain this to me? I can also be reached at: bnsnphoto@aol.com Sincerely, Neil Benson

Did your adaptation take into account any differences between the camera that the lens was originally designed for and the SD-9? For example, if the rear element to film/sensor plane distance is different on the two cameras, the lens will not focus properly...

bensonphoto

Attn: CASTLEDUDE AND UKEXPAT

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:43 am

The lens adapter is such that my lens is always stopped down, so the depth of field preview button is unnecessary. The adapter is commercially made and I can only assume the appropriate measurements have been taken into account. It is produced by C. Point Incorporated, and it allows me to mount M-42 screw mount lenses on my Sigma SD-9. I like to blur the background in outdoor portraits and glamour photos. I have an 85mm 1.5 and a 50mm 1.4 that bridge the gap in the Sigma lens lineup. At all apertures, my actual depth of field is less than what I see through my viewfinder. I don't understand why, but a friend who is an engineer suggested that perhaps it has to do with the prism and/or focusing screen. I also have an adapter for the Canon EOS, and I am about to borrow a digital rebel from a friend to see if it is a universal phenomenon or simply an engineering fault native to sigma. I do love the camera though. The color and resolution are not at all exaggerated in the manufacturer's claims. Thank you for your input!

Neil

ukexpat

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:59 pm

Neill

Do you have a website URL for C Point?

Thanks.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Tech. Question, ...Digital depth of field vs. film?????????