Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Zoom fisheye or fixed?

Digital Cameras

Zoom fisheye or fixed?

becky_stead

Zoom fisheye or fixed?

Post Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:23 am

Im looking at getting a fisheye lense for my pentax k10d and wondered weather a fixed focal length lense would do or a zoom im just not too sure which to get. Please help.

dang

Re: Zoom fisheye or fixed?

Post Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:48 am

Hi Becky,
Which lenses are you looking toward specifically?

It's difficult to give an answer when there's so many lenses out there. As a general rule though:
1. Prime lenses are usually sharper, and possibly faster
2. Zooms are more versatile
3. A fish eye is less often used than an ultra wide (especially if you get one with circular frame)
4. If you try saving too much $ by not getting what you really want, you'll probably spend more in the long run
because you'll end up buying twice.

Don't forget the crop factor which is associated with some bodies, and the possibility that if you upgrade to full frame later some lenses won't work.

prinothcat

Post Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:57 am

Can you clarify here? zoom lens, a fisheye lens, or a fixed focal length lens? I kind of read this to mean you were looking for a fisheye that zoomed. I've never seen such an animal myself. A fisheye is generally(?) fixed focal length.

dang

Post Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:26 am

prinothcat wrote:Can you clarify here? zoom lens, a fisheye lens, or a fixed focal length lens? I kind of read this to mean you were looking for a fisheye that zoomed. I've never seen such an animal myself. A fisheye is generally(?) fixed focal length.

I think it's Tamron that recently added a fisheye zoom, which when zoomed is basically an ultra wide. When it came to my attention I couldn't find many (if any) reviews. I'd imagine it would tend to be a bit softer than usual ultra wides.

jniemann

Post Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:36 am

prinothcat wrote:Can you clarify here? zoom lens, a fisheye lens, or a fixed focal length lens? I kind of read this to mean you were looking for a fisheye that zoomed. I've never seen such an animal myself. A fisheye is generally(?) fixed focal length.

I'll second that - all fisheye lenses I have come across are fixed focal-length. I have a Peleng Fisheye which has an 8mm focal length and an M42 thread, so there is no auto-focus. It is not the easiest lens in the world to use. Its fun to experiment with, but difficult (not impossible) to come up with shots that you will really want to keep.

I also have a Canon EFS-10-22mm Ultra-wide Zoom lens. This is a TOTALLY different beast. For one, it has a rectangular projection (instead of circular), so there is no fisheye distortion. At the short end, it really exaggerates perspective, which can be a powerful and dramatic effect. At the long end (22mm), it is like a conventional wide-angle - it just fits a lot of stuff in the frame. Again, this is not the easiest lens to use, because it forces you to really think about composition in your shots. If you have unwanted distractions in your frame, they can easily spoil a shot.

Nevertheless, if you search the pbase galleries for shots taken with this lens, you will find some incredibly creative and striking results.

dang

Post Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:37 am

Oops... it's Tokina instead: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/468737-REG/Tokina_ATX107PRODXC_10_17mm_f_3_5_4_5_AT_X_107.html

Filter Size
None
f/Stop Range
3.5-22
Minimum Focus Distance
5.6" (14.3 cm)
1" (2.5 cm) in Macro mode
Magnification
1:2.5
Angle of View
180 to 100°
Groups/Elements
8/10
Length
2.8" (71.5mm)
Maximum Diameter
2.7" (68mm)
Weight
12.3 oz (350 g)
On a side note, I'd take reviews which are with products on such sites with a grain of salt and look elsewhere on the net. I've often found when submitting reviews to retailers they can be changed. Not saying B&H would do it, but I can't positively say anywhere wouldn't. Reviews are usually based on personal experience, if you're a pixel peeper you know what I"m talking about. :wink:
Last edited by dang on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

jniemann

Post Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:56 am

Oh well. I guess there is a zoom-fisheye after all !
Looks like an interesting lens.

prinothcat

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:20 am

jniemann wrote:Oh well. I guess there is a zoom-fisheye after all !
Looks like an interesting lens.

well color me in that same box... I wouldn't have guessed. I'm the type that as you appear to be would go ultra wide 10-12mm range for a short zoom over a fishey...

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Zoom fisheye or fixed?