Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Graduated Neutral Density Filter

Digital Cameras

Graduated Neutral Density Filter

akeigher

Graduated Neutral Density Filter

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:01 am

I want to buy a few graduated ND filters - at least a .3 and .6, maybe a .9 too depending on cost.

However, I am really at lost as to which filter to look at.

These filters would be for lenses with a 77mm thread.

I read somewhere that if i get square glass filters I to be able to adjust where the gradient occurs... but i have no clue which filters or sizes, etc.

please help.

thanks

prinothcat

Re: Graduated Neutral Density Filter

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:04 am

akeigher wrote:I want to buy a few graduated ND filters - at least a .3 and .6, maybe a .9 too depending on cost.
However, I am really at lost as to which filter to look at.
These filters would be for lenses with a 77mm thread.
I read somewhere that if i get square glass filters I to be able to adjust where the gradient occurs... but i have no clue which filters or sizes, etc.
please help.
thanks

You can use a Cokin P sized holder and any filter that fits it ( I think they're 82 or 85mm). Definitely use square filters. Round ND's are really only useful to drop the EV of the entire image. As you stated it is desirable to move the point where the transition is placed with out changing the way you have the image framed. Squares will slide up and down or side to side depending on how the holder is turned. The Cokin holder is two piece, a metal ring that threads on the front of the lens (they come in assorted diameters.), and a plastic holder that slips over the top of that. The holder spins with enough resistance to hold it where you align it. You might want to start with a selection of Cokin resin filters and see which you use/like most then buy glass (more expensive) filters as the Cokins get worn. Besides density, ND's come in hard and soft transition, as well as partial (usually 1/2 &1/2) gradation and full (top to bottom) gradation. Finally be aware that some holders, the Cokin included can cause vignetting on wide and ultra wide angle lenses. I use them on an 18mm Nikkor and sometiimes have a problem with this. My personal stash is a run of Cokin's, p120 - p121f.

I get mine from B&H or Adorama

Hope this is helpful. There are a couple of other threads that address ND grads here, if you have time to search them out.

akeigher

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:53 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I bought a p120, a p121L (ND2), and a P121M (ND4)

then a bought a Orange Fluo Graduated Filter and a Gradual Fluo Red just for fun. I am going out to sedona next week and I think those will look nice with the red rocks.

prinothcat

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:29 am

Pleased to be of assistance. Show us the results when you have ones that you like.
Best, Chris

bclaypole

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:52 am

I would like to say to you experts out there, that you also help alot more than just the person asking the question.
So thanks from all of us that don't even have the right questions to ask but learn from these forums.
Cheers
Brad

prinothcat

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:52 am

bclaypole wrote:I would like to say to you experts out there, that you also help alot more than just the person asking the question.
So thanks from all of us that don't even have the right questions to ask but learn from these forums.
Cheers
Brad

While I would hardly classify myself as an expert, there are a few things that I have trial and erred on. :roll: Hopefully I can pass some of these on and save someone else some aggravation.
:wink:

mikelong

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:38 am

The best ND grads I've found are by Singh Ray in Florida. http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html
Last edited by mikelong on Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toosnvetts

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:12 am

I agree with Brad. I have been studying these filters to start experimenting. Chris, you always take the time to lend a hand and it is appreciated. Sometimes a good starting point like this is very useful to newbies. I appreciate it too.

prinothcat

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:45 pm

toosnvetts wrote:I agree with Brad. I have been studying these filters to start experimenting. Chris, you always take the time to lend a hand and it is appreciated. Sometimes a good starting point like this is very useful to newbies. I appreciate it too.

Thank You. I'm really only a digital yearling myself (shot a lot of film in my day though). As I said somewhere else, I've done some of the leg work and made some of the mistakes. I figure if I can pass along what I have discovered I can help someone out. I figure as I went down (wait.. I'm still going down.. ) the path I pilfered knowhow here and there so if I share it it must be ok...

I agree about the Sighn Rays, by the way, I also think they are some what costly to be using as experiments though.... B&W make nice filters as well. I figure that the cheap resin Cokins will do for now as I experiment, and as I need to I will replace them with better quality glass filters.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Graduated Neutral Density Filter