10d dog or the dogs

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:10 pm

History;
Bought camera 3 weeks ago
Got Sigma 18-50 3.5-5.6
Ordered 1g CF as 256 not enough.
Also got a nice case for free lol.
Plans for future include a 50mm prime and 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS USM

So I went out to play with my new and sparkling toy and I seem to get the same results, when the camera is being used on full auto (as a point and shoot) it seems to allways overexpose the image. I have now got a nice collection of over bright images of my cat inside, outside (sunny day), a bright tree and some bright logs in a park.

If I take control it will produce some lovely pics (in my opinion), but I want it to do all the work for me some times because I think it should. Sometimes I see a picture that I want and don`t have time to think just to point and shoot. I don`t want to buy a P&S camera as well, the images this produces are as sharp as a knife just a bit light.

Has anybody else had this experience with a SLR?
Thanks for reading
Steve.

castledude

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:47 pm

From a few friends with the 10D I have heard that P mode is better than full auto. The white balance is just wrong on a 10D in full auto and "nobody" really uses it in that mode. Most of the people use it in full manual or Av mode (Tv for sports).

If you are really concerned about the camera working you might go to a local camera store and swap out all your stuff (lens, CF card) to it and fire a few test shots then do the same shots with your 10D. See if they look about the same.

BTW everyone that I know that has a 10D loves it (warts and all).

amanpil

My Good Deed for the day

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:39 pm

Had a peek at your gallery, doesn't say if it was the 10D. I'm assuming it is and like many 10D newbies, our first shots in the INBOX is WHITE BALANCE TEST!!

Castledude quite rightly pointed out, we shoot P,M, TV and AV mostly, and the pictures are great. We normally shoot RAW and would advise at least PhotoShop 8 or CS for post processing.

Try this forum of 10D users, they are great people:
http://www.photo-forums.com

Have fun and good luck

fastuno

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:22 am

Ha, sounds like a similar problem I had. Only I had the white balance issue with Av and Tv, which really puzzled me on my vacation. I mostly shoot M & I was just too tired to adjust both settings, so I tried the other 2 options. When I got back from vaction I forgot about it, until I went to that mode again. Same results......I went to Menu/Clear Settings & that seemed to have taken care of it! I readjusted my user settings & that was the end of it. Hope this helps, I know it can be frustrating.

How do you like your 10d? When I first got mine I was enthralled, but now I see the shortcomings of a DSLR. Need to process pictures afterwards, come on we shouldn't have to after spending all that money. Anways, I still love this freakin camera, can't do without for now....or at least until something better comes along.

I have looked at some of the other newer 8+MP cameras & there seems to be no improvement, unless you have the 1Ds. Maybe it's just me?

http://www.pbase.com/fastuno

ukexpat

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:03 pm

fastuno wrote:Ha, sounds like a similar problem I had. Only I had the white balance issue with Av and Tv, which really puzzled me on my vacation. I mostly shoot M & I was just too tired to adjust both settings, so I tried the other 2 options. When I got back from vaction I forgot about it, until I went to that mode again. Same results......I went to Menu/Clear Settings & that seemed to have taken care of it! I readjusted my user settings & that was the end of it. Hope this helps, I know it can be frustrating.

How do you like your 10d? When I first got mine I was enthralled, but now I see the shortcomings of a DSLR. Need to process pictures afterwards, come on we shouldn't have to after spending all that money. Anways, I still love this freakin camera, can't do without for now....or at least until something better comes along.

I have looked at some of the other newer 8+MP cameras & there seems to be no improvement, unless you have the 1Ds. Maybe it's just me?

http://www.pbase.com/fastuno

It sounds like an SLR is not suitable for what you want. For me a digital SLR is the ultimate tool, the perfect combination of image quaity and flexibility -- if I wanted to be able to just point and shoot and not have to process images afterwards, I would have bought a point and shoot camera. If you only want to shoot JPEG you can use the in camera settings to produce excellent results. If you want the ultimate image quality you have to shoot RAW and perform additional processing.

fastuno

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:42 pm

That is just the thing. I did not think that I would get this involved, but it turns out that I am spending more and more of my time processing my images. I have processed images, only to go back and reprocess them when I learn a new technique.

Point being is that is all the money we spent for our equipment really worth it? Could we have gotten the same or very similar results from a regular p&s cam?

I know overall I am satisfied with what I have & that nothing else will do for now!
Canon 10d
100 2.8 Macro USM
28-135 3.5/5.6 USM
70-300 4/5.6 APO Macro Super

Do I dare go out & buy an L series lens after spending around $3000 on existing equipment for a hobby?

ukexpat

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:00 pm

fastuno wrote:That is just the thing. I did not think that I would get this involved, but it turns out that I am spending more and more of my time processing my images. I have processed images, only to go back and reprocess them when I learn a new technique.

Point being is that is all the money we spent for our equipment really worth it? Could we have gotten the same or very similar results from a regular p&s cam?

I know overall I am satisfied with what I have & that nothing else will do for now!
Canon 10d
100 2.8 Macro USM
28-135 3.5/5.6 USM
70-300 4/5.6 APO Macro Super

Do I dare go out & buy an L series lens after spending around $3000 on existing equipment for a hobby?

I have had P&S digital cameras before and I much prefer working with RAW files from my 10D. I guess I am not just a point and shoot guy. I don't mind spending the extra time to extract the best possible images from my RAW files. Horses for courses and YMMV.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 10d dog or the dogs