Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Nikon D40 vs. D40X vs. D60 (vs. N65 vs. Coolpix L3)

Digital Cameras

Nikon D40 vs. D40X vs. D60 (vs. N65 vs. Coolpix L3)

isaacjacobs

Nikon D40 vs. D40X vs. D60 (vs. N65 vs. Coolpix L3)

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:45 pm

(I have been a casual browser of this site for many years, just for the record.)

My first and only digital camera is a Nikon Coolpix L3. Don't look it up, it'll make you cry. I am set on buying a DSLR camera and am trying to figure out which is best for me. My fiancee has a Nikon N65 film SRL camera, so I also would want something which she would not perceive as useless digital garbage. I am mostly interested in Nikon because she already has lenses, though don't know if it matters to be locked in to their brand since the autofocus most likely will not work. (I am still waiting for her to determine if this is true or not.) The models I am trying to decide between are the Nikon D40, D40X, and D60. I have already searched this forum a bit and did not see the information which I am requesting.

Does anyone have any anecdotal comparisons between these models of camera? According to http://www.kenrockwell.com, the D40 is the best. However, everyone else seems to be saying D60. From looking at image comparisons on http://www.dpreview.com, it appears that the quality of the D40X is superior to the D60, despite them being mostly the same camera. Also from comparisons on there, the D40 is noticeably lower in resolution than the D40X. Are these resolutions noticeable when printing a 4x6? What about an 8x10? The D40 can print up to 6.7x10 at 300 dpi. According to Ken Rockwell, since it's the same CCD on all three models, the D40 is the best essentially because it isn't pushing it to the limits, it's working in a sane region of quality. Any thoughts on this?

My point and shoot camera has provided many frustrations for me due to lack of control over what is going on. I find that I prefer manual focus because more often than not, autofocus will not focus on the detail I want. (So in that regard, it doesn't matter if my fiancee's lenses cannot autofocus, I don't use it much anyways.) Also, it is too complicated to change the exposure settings. I must click through a couple of menus. Is this easier on these models? How so? Also, the color reproduction is terrible, and forget trying to take a picture in low light. It is my assumption that the DSLR will have better response in these categories. (I couldn't find any comparisons for my L3.)

I primarily take landscape photos. What sort of lenses should I look into? Will a vibration reduction lens give me a noticeable advantage? I imagine with a higher resolution camera it would, though am unsure if this is necessary were I to opt for the D40.

djwixx

Re: Nikon D40 vs. D40X vs. D60 (vs. N65 vs. Coolpix L3)

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:27 pm

If you already have some lenses I would actually avoid all three models and look at the D80. Reasoning - it has a focus drive pin which the cameras you've already mentioned don't. That will mean many older lenses will maintain much of the functionality. The D80 kit with a 18-55 and 55-200 will be a good overall set. The D80 has most of the controls you need as buttons so you won't need the menus much. The problem with having to use the menu system for any basic changes is the screen will then drain the battery. Out of the three models you mention I would assume the D60 will have preferable noise levels at higher ISOs just because it's a newer camera.

If all you're looking to print is small prints then a good quality secondhand D50 will be more than sufficient and will have much of the functions available using buttons rather than the menu. Additionally it has the focus drive pin for use with older lenses. I've printed 20"x30" from a D70s (same sensor as a D50) - the trick is the post processing, rather than what you capture in camera.

VR is always a huge plus if you're going to use the lens hand held and will allow you to get shots, especially at a longer focal lengths than you wouldn't normally be able to get. At 300mm at around 1/100th you'll keep 80% of the shots hand held rather than bin 80%. The D80 kit lenses now come with VR which makes them very usable. 18mm will be a nice wide angle for landscapes.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Nikon D40 vs. D40X vs. D60 (vs. N65 vs. Coolpix L3)