Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Help Choosing Macro Lens for Jewelry

Digital Cameras

Help Choosing Macro Lens for Jewelry

jmphotography

Help Choosing Macro Lens for Jewelry

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:20 pm

I need a lens to mate with my Canon 40D. I think the Canon 50mm 2.5 macro is out because it cannot achieve the magnification needed for such small objects.
I have been looking at the Canon 60mm macro, the Sigma 50mm macro and sigma 70mm macro.
I would especially appreciate any helpful information from anyone with experience shooting jewelry, however anything would be helpful since I do not own a true macro lens.
If you have one to sell, feel free to advertise me in.

Thanks in a flash
Joshua Meyer

djwixx

Re: Help Choosing Macro Lens for Jewelry

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:08 pm

The Tamron 90mm is an excellent macro lens which gets excellent reviews. I have one and love it. Another cheap option would be the 50mm F1.8 and add closeup filters.

dang

Re: Help Choosing Macro Lens for Jewelry

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:05 pm

I agree with the 90mm, but the Canon 50 f/2.5 macro while a sharp lens, I wouldn't suggest. Not only is it handicapped by less than 1:1 magnification, it's design is old and lacks USM. If you're on a budget, the Sigma 50mm offers life size, and only cost slightly more.

However, most smaller lenses in the 50 range have an angle of view of 46 degrees, compared to the 100mm's 23. This can become a problem when trying to isolate subjects while working it tight areas. You'll need a larger background to keep objects behind the subject from being included. Longer lenses also give you slightly more working distance, which is helpful when lighting you subjects.

Otherwise, most macro lenses are all good lenses. If you can afford the extra, Canon's 100 f/2.8 USM macro is an excellent choice between cost, length and build quality having the smoothest bokeh on the market. Otherwise, the Tamron 90 or Sigma 105 should do well in this situation.

Other things to consider if shooting jewelry is a light tent, and/or circular polarizing filter to minimize highlights.
Light tents come in a variety of styles, and prices. As example: http://www.adorama.com/JTDL90WTK.html

Good luck, and enjoy.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Help Choosing Macro Lens for Jewelry