Board index Equipment Digital Cameras DSLR SCRATCH START NIKON OR CANON ADVICE

Digital Cameras

DSLR SCRATCH START NIKON OR CANON ADVICE

jason_hankin

DSLR SCRATCH START NIKON OR CANON ADVICE

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi all,

this is my first dslr purchase and really need some help from all your experience, i think my problem lies with the lens system which to go for
which glass range do your prefer canon or nikon as for the body which ever road i go down there's a body to suit me so that not so much of an issue if anything would consider a less spec body and spend money on a better lens combination.

so then what lens would you recommend to buy and maybe what body to go with that choice i was thinking 5d or d200/300 but as mentioned doesn't have to be that spec to keep the cost down.

thanks

djwixx

Re: DSLR SCRATCH START NIKON OR CANON ADVICE

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:00 pm

You're not specifying your interests or expectations. There's little point recommending a wide lens when you like bird photography, or a macro when you like landscape photography. You're experience level should also be a consideration. There's little point spending $1000 on a lens if you don't know the benefits, over a kit lens.

prinothcat

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:16 am

djwixx wrote:You're not specifying your interests or expectations. There's little point recommending a wide lens when you like bird photography, or a macro when you like landscape photography. You're experience level should also be a consideration. There's little point spending $1000 on a lens if you don't know the benefits, over a kit lens.

I'll second all that and go on to add that if you are able to search this forum you will find a number of threads covering this same ground......

jason_hankin

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:19 am

i knew that question would be next ok i am a beginner if you like but dont want entry level body as i want an outfit i can grow into as i get more experience i dont want to keep upgrading as i progress.
i shoot landscape/ night photography also want to try portrait work and i also do some action sports work about a dozen times a year.
i will also try and search covered threads on pbase.
thanks

adz929

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:16 am

jason_hankin wrote:...i shoot landscape/ night photography also want to try portrait work and i also do some action sports work about a dozen times a year...

I use my D200 for all of the above and have never found it limiting in any way, however, given that the D300 is now out, I doubt you'll find anyone recommending a D200 over it. The D300 will do all of the above and do it well, especially the sports. So if you insist on skipping the entry level bodies, my recommendation to you would be the D300.
adz929...The protanomolous photographer...

Pixel peepers...bah, humbug!

djwixx

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:12 pm

jason_hankin wrote:i knew that question would be next ok i am a beginner if you like but dont want entry level body as i want an outfit i can grow into as i get more experience i dont want to keep upgrading as i progress.
i shoot landscape/ night photography also want to try portrait work and i also do some action sports work about a dozen times a year.
i will also try and search covered threads on pbase.
thanks

I would highly suggest you walk before you can run. You may want to start with an entry (ish) level camera and concentrate on the lenses that give you what you need. There's no point spending almost $2000 on a camera if you're going to put cheap lenses on it. The question at this point is "what is your overall budget?" as a starter? Bear in mind a quality lens will cost anywhere from $500 upwards, with some of what you want to cover being nearer the $1000-$1500 mark, assuming you want quality lenses to meet the capabilities of the camera.

I would suggest you allow yourself a year to get to understand the full capabilities of your equipment, by which time you may want to upgrade (camera, not lenses) anyway so you may as well start at a point that's within your capabilities and accept that you'll want to upgrade later. A reduced investment now will be less painful later if you decide you want to go in a different direction.

Personally I recommend starting with something like a Nikon D80 or a Canon 40D - not entry level but not bank breaking. For landscapes I'd suggest the kit lens (18mm - 55mm upwards) will do to start, as you'll be using it at F8 or higher. For portraits, night shots and price I always recommend the 50mm F1.8. Again for the money you are getting a superb lens and you'll learn the benefits of a good lens without spending much to do so.

I use Nikon, not because I'm biased, just because that's where I started, so my recommendation is based on experience, but you should be able to find the same option in the Canon world. I'd recommend the D80 kit with the 18-55VR and 55-200VR, then add a 50mm F1.8. The kit lenses will get you by while you learn and the 50mm will help you learn the benefits of a good lens. If you really want to break the bank the go for the D300 with the 18-200VR option. It's a solid lens to give you scope in a lot of directions and get you going with a single lens option. Again I'd add the 50mm as a good lens to learn the benefits of a fast lens, with great depth of field control that's also extremely useful in bad light.

Again, how much can you spend?

jason_hankin

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:34 pm

yeh i take on board what your saying dave my current camera is a sony v3 which has full manual control it shoots in tiff and raw so im not coming straight from a p + s.
im looking to spend approx, $2000 d300 kit at b+m is $2200 with 18-200mm vr lens and the d80 kit with a 18-50mm vr + 70-300mm vr lens is $1200
a grand cheaper when you look at it.
suppose they will be some major differences though will have to study them.
thanks

djwixx

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:16 pm

jason_hankin wrote:yeh i take on board what your saying dave my current camera is a sony v3 which has full manual control it shoots in tiff and raw so im not coming straight from a p + s.
im looking to spend approx, $2000 d300 kit at b+m is $2200 with 18-200mm vr lens and the d80 kit with a 18-50mm vr + 70-300mm vr lens is $1200
a grand cheaper when you look at it.
suppose they will be some major differences though will have to study them.
thanks

Yes there will be differences, but nothing you're likely to be aware of. Frame rate, even for sports is not that big a deal as a difference between the two. Live view and sensor cleaning will be useful on the D300 but not essential. The weatherproofing on the D300 will be the difference, which if you're out in the pouring rain and snow is something to consider. Battery life is another consideration, as is media and accessories. You'll get almost 4x shots out of a charge on a D80 compared to a D200/300. SD or CF a preference? Accesories (remote release etc.) will cost more on the D200/300.

I'd love a D300, but I can't justify it and I'd rather pay the extra $1000 on a quality lens.

As $2000 is your limit I'd really consider a lower end camera and a quality lens.

Check out the comparison of a D80 and D300 at http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/vs-d200.htm
bearing in mind the D300 is a upgrade to the D200, but it should give you some ideas.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras DSLR SCRATCH START NIKON OR CANON ADVICE