Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Thoughts on Nikon D80 and other in Nikon line?

Digital Cameras

Thoughts on Nikon D80 and other in Nikon line?

donutrun

Thoughts on Nikon D80 and other in Nikon line?

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:23 am

BACKGROUND: I'm a hobbyist looking to take my hobby up a notch ... I'm ready to abandon my dslr-like Minolta A200 that I've never truly loved (after loving my Minolta A1 - the factory gave me the A200 to replace the A1 I broke) ... I want to move to a true slr and have no glass that would lead me to a particular manufacturer. I'd been thinking:
    something like 10 megapixels,
    amazingly fast focus, shutter response, and card writing (as action sports are my first love),
    the ability to shoot macro (as bug pics are a close second),
    a hotshoe for an external tiltable flash (I like bouncing the light in the few people photos I take)
    image stabilization (as my hands shake), not sure if its better in lens or in camera,
    I actually like something with some weight to it (so it doesn't feel like a toy) ...

I like what I've read about the Nikon D80 -- does it seem to meet the above thougths? From what I've heard, the D80 seems to be better built than the D60 and priced less than the D300 -- is that a fair summary? But it's been on the market for 2 years, so I get nervous about purchasing one in August and the D90 hitting the market in February and being trapped in obselescence -- is that a fear that carries any merit? Should I just relax and enjoy the D80? Jump to the D60? Wait for the D90? Is there a different manufacturer that I should consider rather than nikon (the Canon 40D or XSi?)?
http://www.pbase.com/donutrun
Bored out of your skull? Visit my gallery, leave a coment.
Nikon D300 .. 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 VR .. 85mm 1:1.8 .. 50mm 1:1.8
Manfrotto 682B monopod with the 234rc head .. SB 600
Nestled In Northwestern Vermont

prinothcat

Re: Thoughts on Nikon D80 and other in Nikon line?

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:26 am

donutrun wrote:
    something like 10 megapixels,
    amazingly fast focus, shutter response, and card writing (as action sports are my first love),
    the ability to shoot macro (as bug pics are a close second),
    a hotshoe for an external tiltable flash (I like bouncing the light in the few people photos I take)
    image stabilization (as my hands shake), not sure if its better in lens or in camera,
    I actually like something with some weight to it (so it doesn't feel like a toy) ...

SInce you're at ground zero, look at the D80, The D300. Look at the EOS line, the Canon 5D. Note that you are looking at 1.5 and 1.6 crop factor or DX sized sensors. Look at the features, the ergonomics, the menus, the location of resets, and of presets for function you will want to use regularly. Find someone who will walk you through the menus if necessary. Then look at the relative cost of the glass you will want to buy over the next couple of years. If you stay with DX sized sensors you will need to be aware of how they affect the imaging characteristics of the various lenses you consider. In a nutshell you get 1.5x magnification over the lenses stated size, a 100mm becomes a 150mm, and some wide angles don't work so well. Again find someone who will take the time to explain this while you shop. This may be the real clincher if you can't decide between Nikon or Canon or whatever. Once you hit the DSLR range Image Stabilization or Vibration Reduction (in Nikonese) is in he lenses not the camera body, so that's no longer a factor. All DSLRs will have a shoe mount, you will want to have a basic understanding of the flash system for the two bodies you end up choosing between. Write speed is a non issue as far as I am aware because all of your choices will have a buffer... You may want to look into which of your finalists has the bigger write buffer. On the subject of presets, I believe the D80's are loaded with exposure presets, and such. You may need to go one step higher to get away from "sports", "landscape", "portrait" type presets, again I'm not 100% on this. Finally the shutter lag mythology becomes just that, since you will be using the half down position on the shutter release to fire up the AF and metering. There is a fair amount to absorb as you search for the camera body that will do what you want, and this is where you will likely benefit from a trip to a real camera store or two. Finally be aware there are a few lenses that will not auto focus with the low end DSLR's, because the lens does not have an AF motor and relies on the body to do the AF. At the low end a couple of Nikon bodys do not have an AF motor either and thus rely on the lens to drive AF. This only affects a very few lenses/bodies. I do not off the top of my head remember if the D80 is one of these.

Now for my personal insight, the EOS line all felt like toys. I didn't have access to a 5d, but it's supposed to take great photos. I ended up choosing a Nikon D200. The D300 was released 5 months later. Do I wish I'd waited? nope. I'm shooting and making images that I like so it's all good.

donutrun

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:22 pm

prinothcat wrote:Now for my personal insight, the EOS line all felt like toys. I didn't have access to a 5d, but it's supposed to take great photos. I ended up choosing a Nikon D200. The D300 was released 5 months later. Do I wish I'd waited? nope. I'm shooting and making images that I like so it's all good.

I appreciate the path to follow on my research and you've given me lots to think about! I especially appreciate the person insights ... Sounds like I don't have to fear that the D80 will fall off the face of the earth (firmware updates, etc) when the D90 arrives on the scene?

Other thoughts from others on D80 and alternatives?
http://www.pbase.com/donutrun
Bored out of your skull? Visit my gallery, leave a coment.
Nikon D300 .. 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 VR .. 85mm 1:1.8 .. 50mm 1:1.8
Manfrotto 682B monopod with the 234rc head .. SB 600
Nestled In Northwestern Vermont

prinothcat

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:19 pm

donutrun wrote:I appreciate the path to follow on my research and you've given me lots to think about! I especially appreciate the person insights ... Sounds like I don't have to fear that the D80 will fall off the face of the earth (firmware updates, etc) when the D90 arrives on the scene?

Nikon has been very good about supporting older gear. It's telling that 1980's Nikkor lenses will still function on most current Nikon bodies. Try that with Canon.....
As yet another alternative, I got a look at a friends Canon 40D today and it doesn't fall into the toy category.
If your' up for some reading DPReviews has good info, and I personally like Ken Rockwell's site. Although some dismiss him as a crackpot, he does shoot Nikon vs Canon side by side and has a good size collection of lens comparisions.

bbmphoto

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:08 pm

Last year, when considering my options for replacing my backup camera, the Fuji S3, I seriously considered the D80. Mostly because my primary camera was a D200. I was very happy with my D200, but every year trade in my oldest camera for new technology. I was very hesitant to get the Fuji S5. Anyway, I digress.

What I found is that, in my research, the D80 and the D200 are essentially the same camera with minor differences. The biggest difference I found was that the D80 was a plastic body versus the rugged body of the D200. For a fraction of the cost, you can get a a D80 that sports most of the D200 features. The D80 like the D200 also both use the same optional equipment. For example the Wireless WT-3a works the same on both. This is why I very much considered getting the D80 as my backup camera. It was a perfect match for my D200. (PS I ended up getting the Fuji S5 for the lowlight advantages)

This past month, I upgraded to the D300. I love it! It is a huge upgrade from the D200. The screen on the back is much brighter and larger. The Focusing cam is so much faster. The camera is a real joy to shoot with. The only disadvantage was that I had to purchase their new Wireless option as Nikon as changed their direction again. (Three times I've had to upgrade the wireless with the camera, D2h, D200, D300) Hopefully they've got it right this time!

My recommendation for you jumping in, is to save some money and get the D80 and get a good start on your lenses. The lense is more important than any thing else, in my opinion. However, if you feel you may want to consider the D300, the by all means. It is twice the price of the D80, but well worth the consideration. I would not however, in your position, consider the D200, unless you found a great deal close to the d80. If you need the ruggedness, then jump right into the D300.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Thoughts on Nikon D80 and other in Nikon line?