Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Camera/Computer Backpacks

Digital Cameras

Camera/Computer Backpacks

jerseyfinn

Camera/Computer Backpacks

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:05 pm

OK, the airline game is changing & carry-on rules will be more strictly enforced in the near future ( one carry-on bag plus one personal item such as a computer etc ). So I'm in the market for a practical backpack which can can hold a laptop & some camera gear - - which thankfully for me at this moment consists of 2 P&Ss and all of the other little gizmos one carries when they travel.

Thus far, I'm looking at the Lowepro "Rover" and "Trekker" models as well as some of the Tamracs. Anyone using these bags and can you comment on utility/durability and how well a laptop does or does not fit in these bags?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Barry

tringhenge

Re: Camera/Computer Backpacks

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:13 pm

I've got a Lowepro Micro Trekker 200SE. It's not laptop capable, but I thought you might appreciate the general feedback.

I've had it for 6 or 7 years I think. I currently get a EOS 40D plus 28-135mm attached, 10-20mm, 75-300mm, 100mm and 50mm lenses in, plus battery charger/lead, Ipod charger, mobile phone and charger in the main section. The pockets will then get packed with three batteries, two or three filters, cleaning cloths and a blower, small torch and travel documents! Oh and quite often a book strapped in via the external pocket strap too. Ok, it's a tight squeeze and not exactly useable for getting kit out for pictures, but this is my travel (i.e. flying) packing not my walking about packing :) Customs often go to town on looking through it all, but it has never been refused boarding :)

The best search was one customs officer who said "Please can you show the camera actualy takes images?" (this was about 5 weeks after 9/11). Having got it out, turned it on and for the heck of it pointed it at him he said "You are not allowed to take pictures in the customs hall"!!!!!!!!

Anyway, it is a great backpack. As you can see it takes a fair amount of kit and is easy to carry. It goes most places with me in normal use and is showing no sign of wear or tear to zips/straps/padding etc. It is just rather grubby these days. I'm looking to replace it only because I can get a slighter larger model which is airline carry-on approved with a laptop pocket (I really have reached capacity these days) and a laptop pocket would be good.

A trusty workhorse, worth every penny/cent/currencyofyourchoice would be my simple description :)

bclaypole

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:07 pm

I have the Lowepro Trekker AW II and took it to New Zealand with all my gear, and a laptop (not a wide screen model) in the outer pocket. Although heavy, it performed perfectly. It carried a 1d mkII N, 28-70L 2.8, 70-200L 2.8 IS, 50 1.8, 2-580EX flashes, all accessory cables, chargers, and card readers. No complaints from flight crews about the weight although I had to turn on the laptop at security checkpoints and they kept swapping the buttons of the camera body looking for who knows what.
Completely recommend this bag but have some comebacks ready for all the comments...
Ya goin' campin'?.... Runnin' away from home?... etc.

marxz

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:12 am

I'll second the Lowepro Trekker AW II the bottom compartment is big enough for camera with grip with 28-70 L lens + 70-200 f2 + 16-35 f2 L with enough room for a 13" (MacBook) in the document sleeve (not big enough for a 15 or 17 but it would fir in the main compartment)

Only catch is that I've found my local International airport (Perth W.A.) gate security will not let me take it on as carry on as it is marginally over size for carry on and they are absolute B*stards like that.

No problems with any other airport (Narita, Kansai, Singapore - Changi, KL, Shanghai and Hong Kong) or the local domestic airport and no complaints or issues with any airlines (Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Malaysian Airlines, Air Thai, Virgin, JAL, Tiger, Star).
there is no .sig

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Camera/Computer Backpacks