Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Have question, need help

Digital Cameras

Have question, need help

dmajfsharp

Have question, need help

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:21 pm

I loaned my camera (Nikon D40) to my brother so that he could use it on his honeymoon. I showed him how to use it and how to care for it. He seemed to understand my instructions. When he returned my camera all appeared fine until I looked into the viewfinder and I found it to be FILLED with lint, dust and other particulates. (Yes, the viewfinder, not the sensor, not the mirror.

I took some pictures with it and I found copious amounts of dust and dirt in my pictures. I inspected the sensor and I found that there is dust and particulates also. I know enough not to touch that in any way.

Here is a sample image

I assume I have to have it professionally cleaned. Is there a recommended course of action I can take myself to rectify these problems?

dang

Re: Have question, need help

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi Ralph,
Check this link: http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/
Hope it helps.

dmajfsharp

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:53 am

Dang. You rock. I was able to clean my sensor. Apparently with no damage. Thank you very much for directing me to that site. I do however have significant schmutz in my viewfinder. I have bee surfing for a solution I have yet to come across one. any and all help is welcomed and appreciated.

dang

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:14 am

Great Ralf, glad it helped.
The viewfinder isn't user serviceable, best have a repair center take a look. It might be dust on the mirror, but you could scratch it and make things worse. It's not going to affect your photos, so leaving it's much safer.

dougj

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:34 am

Good advice from Dang, if the dust you see in the viewfinder is on the inside it should be serviced by Nikon. If it's on the outside surface of the viewfinder lens, you can try blowing it off with a hand-squeeze type of blower. I also gently wipe mine with a soft lens brush afterwards if needed, being careful not to rub as any remaining grit may scratch the surface.

dmajfsharp

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:23 am

I am quite positive the shmutz it is internal it does not effect the pictures, but it sure is annoying. Either way, I thank you folks for your assistance, I now have a better idea of what I am dealing with. I try to do as much for myself as possible, it is the best way for me to learn about things. It is great knowing that this place is full of folks willing to help without trying to make you look like a complete idiot.

The

benjikan

Post Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:10 pm

I would suggest checking out "LensPen"..I use it and can highly recommend their products.

Ben

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Have question, need help