Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 5D or D300 what would you choose and why?

Digital Cameras

5D or D300 what would you choose and why?

bbmphoto

Re: 5D or D300 what would you choose and why?

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:39 pm

Can't comment on Canon, because I don't use Canon.

However, I can tell you, I've been a long time Nikon user (Fuji S2, Fuji S3, Nikon D70, Nikon D2h, Nikon D200, Fuji S5 and now D300) and I can tell you that I was hesitant to move up to the CMOS D300. However in May, when I broke my D200 (stupidity played a part), I decided to upgrade! I have loved that decision since!! I am very much impressed and am very glad I upgraded (not glad I broke my D200). Since the upgrade, my Fuji S5 has gotten little use. Became more of my backup camera and lowlight camera. However, I've found the D300 does an excellent job with photos at ISO 3200. In fact, I let a fellow photographer use the camera. (actually after another one borrowed it to see how it handled in lowlight at 3200 ISO), the second photographer didn't think to adjust the ISO and with a fill flash proceeded to photograph outdoors in bright sunlight. The photos he took I thought were toast!! Sky was completely white, so was the concrete. However, after running the RAW images through Lightroom, the photos snapped RIGHT IN!!! AMAZING!! Now understand there were still a few problems and by no means were these photos perfect. But I was amazed at how much of the blue sky came back and the concrete came back into place. The noticable problem was the skin tones still were harsh.

Also, I use the Wireless of the D2h and the D200. The D2h was only 8011.b (11mbs) where as the D200 is 8011.g. Speed of sending photos were much faster and reliable with the D200. Distance was still an issue as the wireless option is attached to the bottom of the body. The D300, is a seperate unit with a nice antena. It is super fast, now allows sending of RAW images, and covers more than twice the distance of the D200. The only thing I had to get used to was a wire going to the transmitter from the camera. However pulling the cord out and plugging it back in, was very forgiving!

Last, the lenses. I love Nikon glass! I only use Nikon glass! even the 18-200 VR lense!! Great for event shooting when I need to be very adaptive and quick! I also use the 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VR, 80-400 VR, and the 300 VR f2.8. The only non Nikon I use is the Sigma 10-20mm. I use this on occassion and couldn't justify the cost for a lense I use rarely.

Best wishes to your new endeavors and your decision whichever way it leads you!

Best regards,

Kris

Previous

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 5D or D300 what would you choose and why?