Board index Equipment Digital Cameras What compact point and shoot should I buy?

Digital Cameras

What compact point and shoot should I buy?

gpaai

What compact point and shoot should I buy?

Post Mon May 12, 2008 2:00 am

Hi Everyone,

There are times and places that I just don't want to lug my bigger cameras (i.e. 5D) around and would like to just take a light, compact point and shoot. For instance spending a day at Disneyland.

Any suggestions as to the best to buy? Quality image as well as number of shots per battery charge are concerns.

Thanks,
Gary
I love photoshopography.......

djwixx

Re: What compact point and shoot should I buy?

Post Mon May 12, 2008 12:14 pm

How compact?

Personally I'm looking at the Canon G9, Canon S5 and Canon A650, for various reasons. I think for portability and ease on batteries the Canon A650 is probably the better option and is getting excellent reviews for a P&S. Given the various reviews, many seem to compare the A650 to the G9 with the benefit of a flip out screen - they use the same engine. I can't help thinking the S5 is overspecced so may show more issues across the 12X zoom range, where the G9 and A650 are limited to 6X. In fact, I think I just talked myself into the Canon A650 for myself :D

heez10

Post Tue May 13, 2008 1:31 am

The S5 is just an improvement over the fabulous S2 which I have and would not change unless it broke, I would go to the S5IS. I just bought the A720 IS as my carry everywhere, replacing my A530, it is fantastic with 8MP and 6X zoom, look into the A720! If you go for the A650 congratulations on a great choice (it was not available where I bought my A720, thou I think it costs more because of the flip screen), and congratulations again for being a Canonite, Hernan

gpaai

Post Tue May 13, 2008 2:29 pm

heez10 wrote:congratulations again for being a Canonite

Canon Rocks!
I love photoshopography.......

toosnvetts

Post Tue May 13, 2008 8:11 pm

I am a Canonite but I bought my wife a Canon SD1000 and I can honestly say that it is somewhat of a disappointment. She does consider it adequate though for family snapshots and snaps that she takes. :)

megrag

Post Sun May 18, 2008 3:03 am

For a carry around camera, I would probably go with the A650. I have an a 620 and love it. The flip out screen gives a lot of versatility for shooting unusual angles and the image quality is Good, but you probably would not want to go any larger than 8x10 with your prints.It has enough manual control to make things interesting and have some fun too. . You can check out http://www.imaging-resource.com for a pretty in depth review of the both of the cameras you are considering

carylwithay

Post Fri May 30, 2008 3:14 pm

I have a LUMIX (Panasonic) TZ3 and love it. It has a Leica lens and a 10x optical zoom. Since it has now been updated, you can get it for about $200. I also have several other point and shoots and some really professional cameras as well. This little camera is great. One caution. Sometimes Panasonic seems to have quality control problems. If you get one and it is less than perfect, exchange it as I have done.
Caryl

jerseyfinn

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:35 pm

It sounds as if you are looking for ease of use, small footprint and utility with decent imagery and function. My 18 yo son bought a Canon SD1000. Size and battery life is right. 7.1Mpx is certainly adequate ( and more battery friendly ). His final images look pretty good. I've played with it a bit myself and I find it to be a decent camera for the money and use as a pure P&S ( I myself own a G9 and absolutely love it, but the G9 is an entirely different sort of camera with a larger P&S footprint ).

Best advice is head to a place like Best Buy look at the SD1000 and all of the other true pocket-sized P&S models there which approximate this footprint. Play with each one and see how you like the feel and the menu logistics & in-hand function of each. Compare features and take some notes. Then go to DPreview and beef up on the reviews there of the models which hit your eye. Pick out a couple of candidates to play with at Best Buy one last time and pull the trigger. Although lots of these P&S seem pretty much the same, there are small differences which only you can judge/evaluate with camera in hand.

Have fun shopping.

Barry

jypsee

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:04 pm

I'm inclined to buy the A650, merely because I gave my son my old A80 and loved the articulating LCD screen. But, I also love the Fuji cameras. My Fuji Z5fd is a fabulous buy (less than $200) and there's a newer version of it. It's very small and very quick. No articulating LCD screen, though.

coffeeaddiction

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:38 am

I have some pretty good experience with the Canon Digital IXUS 860
This baby can take good pictures and it is a tough Warrior. Canon's I have dropped it twice and it's still working fine.

khun_k

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:21 am

Canon G9, good size and mixed of good functions and able to shoot RAW. I shoot medium format digital often, and still like to use G9 when I could, it is just that good.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras What compact point and shoot should I buy?