Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 40D or 450D ??

Digital Cameras

Canon 40D or 450D ??

alrmj

Canon 40D or 450D ??

Post Fri May 09, 2008 11:49 pm

They are similiar but with a few minor tweaks, which would be the better one to go for?

Or should I hold out for the 5D when it comes out?

dang

Re: Canon 40D or 450D ??

Post Sat May 10, 2008 4:07 am

Ah...If you mean Canon, the 5D has been out a long time. You can see a review of it here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/
Hopefully this doesn't sound wrong, but...
As far as which body someone else thinks you should get, I really feel it's something you should decide due to your needs, and not the opinions of others.

With that said, considerations should include having lenses that would make use of a full frame body, and/or higher resolution sensor?
If you've purchased several EF-S lenses, they're not compatible with a 5D, and will need replacing.
Do you have Canon L glass, or using lower priced lenses which aren't giving you the results your wanting? A new body isn't going to help.
Do you require higher frames per second than the 450D would give, and is size & body weight something that might persuade you?

Read the reviews, consider your glass and decide. They're all good bodies which will give nice results if used properly.
Lenses are your biggest investment anyway... bodies are outdated in a couple of years.

alikirk

Post Mon May 12, 2008 7:14 am

I'm in the very same situation. Currently own a 350d but want to upgrade. the 40 seems a lot more expensive for very few extras. 40 d has mag alloy body and shoots around 6fps. thats all . the 450d has 12mp sensor but only 3.5 fps. As for the resolution - 10 - 12 meg isn't a great deal more - and i doubt you'd really notice the increase. As previous mentioned - it's all about the glass. As one of my old lecturers told me back in the film days - the body is basically a film holder - the lens makes the image. - I think my mind is made up - I'm going for the 40d - but i'll wait until the price drops to the 450d level. (but by then the 50d will be launched!!!!)
BTW the 450d got a poor write up in one of the monthlys - only scoring 80% - image quality let it down.

adz929

Post Mon May 12, 2008 8:36 am

I'm curious as to why you are abandoning Nikon?
adz929...The protanomolous photographer...

Pixel peepers...bah, humbug!

tringhenge

Post Mon May 12, 2008 11:55 am

I got a 40D a few months back. Given the choice today, I'd still get the 40D as the 450D is too small for me to comfortably hold and use. I strongly recomend getting hold of both before deciding.

alikirk

Post Mon May 12, 2008 6:00 pm

adz929 wrote:I'm curious as to why you are abandoning Nikon?

For me it's a matter of cost. - not the body - but the the whole kit.
I started with slr photograpy some twenty years ago when an elder brother gave me an old Canon AV1 and 50mm prime lens.
Since then I've always bought canon as the glass I had would fit. Then i got into digital and bought my 350d - and likewise have invested in lots of canon fit accessories.
All those years ago - if my brother had given me a Nikon - then i would have stayed with Nikon for the same reasons.
In my opinion - if manufactures made a universal mount/lens system - their cameras would be more cutting edge and the market place would be more fierce - each company striving to out-do the other - and lower prices to boot!!
But each have their own mainstream market of loyal consummers.

adz929

Post Tue May 13, 2008 12:41 am

Sorry, I had a look through your gallery and noticed a lot of shots taken with a D70s, and well, just assumed that you were a Nikon shooter. IMO, you can't really go wrong with either, however, I bought into a Nikon system because I felt they were more ergonomic and featured a more intuative interface. If I were choosing between the two, it would be a 40D, entry level Canon DSLR's are just too cramped and awkward.

neilhs

Post Fri May 16, 2008 12:03 am

I used to have a 400D and upgraded to a 40D. To be honest the image quality is the same, the biggest benefit is in the handling. The 40D is a far better camera to hold and pilot.

HTH
Neil

birmil

Post Fri May 16, 2008 12:11 am

450d its better i think.

alikirk

Post Fri May 16, 2008 2:35 am

birmil wrote:450d its better i think.

would you care to share your thoughts as to why???

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 40D or 450D ??