Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Crappy Experience at Calumet (Escondido, CA)

Digital Cameras

Crappy Experience at Calumet (Escondido, CA)

bennu500

Crappy Experience at Calumet (Escondido, CA)

Post Sun May 04, 2008 9:01 am

Very Bad Experience at Calumet

On 11 April 2008 I rented a 16-35mm f/2.8L Canon lens from Calumet. The lens was used for a wedding the next day. It wasn't
until 12 April, after inspecting the wedding photos, that I realized the lens was defective. Every photograph taken with the lens
was out of focus. In all 460 precious photographs had to be discarded. I tested the lens on three (3) bodies at aperture settings
from f/2.8 to f/22 with and without a tripod, and was careful to record the focusing points on each exposure. None of the
images were in focus, not even the focusing point. Needless to say, Calumet would not accept responsibility for the defective lens.

http://www.pbase.com/bennu500/image/96440647

To this day Calumet has not processed a refund for the rental fee. I specifically asked the clerk to bring the matter to the
attention of the manager. Today I had a conversation with the manager that was not at all pleasant. He clearly had no idea
whatsoever of the incident or the complaint, but indicated "I'm not sure if we do a focusing test on all lenses [that are] returned".
This is not what I wanted to hear, but nonetheless verified how a "bad lens" could slip through their "quality control". Please be
warned that whenever you rent a lens from any business, perform a complete focusing check on it.

I did not care for the suspicious way I was treated by the manager at Calumet today, and am very upset that they could allow any
customer to be treated this way. I am especially disturbed that a direct request from a customer to have the manager informed
went unacknowledged. Bad Calumet.

wolfeye

Re: Crappy Experience at Calumet (Escondido, CA)

Post Tue May 20, 2008 5:05 pm

You used an untested lens on a wedding? Are you nuts?

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Crappy Experience at Calumet (Escondido, CA)