Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 5D mirror problem, Canon in denial!

Digital Cameras

5D mirror problem, Canon in denial!

mrtoadhawaii

5D mirror problem, Canon in denial!

Post Sat May 03, 2008 2:43 am

> I had the same problem as other photographers with the 5D mirror detaching and I just got the
> body back from being repaired in LA. Last night during a job it detached
> again!! I am furious! Canon said this is a common problem that happens
> only in Hawaii. Reading other complaints around the world I have learned to the contrary and this
mirror detachment does happen in other locations.
They said there is no repair directive or recall to fix
> the problem. I have made a substantial investment in Canon
> equipment and have been a very supportive customer but this problem and
> their attitude has me extremely upset. The serial # of my camera is
> 1410901257 Perhaps we all got lemons but the repair didn’t fix the problem. As professionals we can’t afford to not have
faith in our equipment and it is not practical to carry two or three extra bodies because we can’t
trust the product. It is also very expensive and time consuming when the camera is in the shop, not to
mention the stress dealing with the client when the equipment becomes defective, your reputation
is on the line, and you can’t shoot.
What can we do? Canon told me they didn't have any record of the 5D being recalled in the U.S.

krunal25

Re: 5D mirror problem, Canon in denial!

Post Tue May 27, 2008 6:09 am

snappingturtle

Post Tue May 27, 2008 2:35 pm

You may need to direct this problem to Canon at 1-800-OK-Canon. If you are in the West Cost, you can also contact the Canon service center directly in Irvine, CA at 949-753-4237.

kenmac

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:10 am

Interesting.... I had exactly the same problem with my 5D...bought in Thailand froma reputable dealer. At the time I thought it was from vibration caused by my bolting the 5D onto my motorbike to take some 'live' shots. I know of a chap with a 350 who had the same problem. My mirror detached whilst home in Australia and I had it repaired at a local dealer. I was a bit sceptical that my 'bike ride' had caused it and think that if this is happening regularly from different parts of the world, then Canon really should do something about it...but....

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 5D mirror problem, Canon in denial!