Board index Equipment Digital Cameras UV lens filter

Digital Cameras

UV lens filter

kabir75

UV lens filter

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:37 am

Dear friends,

I have recently bought a NIKON D40 with a 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens. Since I live in a very dusty city, I have been advised to buy a UV filter that will also protect the lens from dust. Can someone please recommend a UV filter that is 'rugged' and will provide maximum protection for use in New Delhi. Also, do i need to buy two separate filters for both lenses - if yes, kindly give me the technical specifications for both and any recommended sites to buy from.

Many thanks for your time.

Regards,
Kabir

djwixx

Re: UV lens filter

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:17 pm

Any name brand, Tiffen, Hoya etc. will do, but I doubt whether you need to bother. The filters may stop a little dust getting in through any tiny gaps at the front of the lens, but if you are changing lenses then that will be when you need to worry about dust. Most people simply use UV filters to protect the front end of a lens from handling damage. I you are careful with your camera and use your lens cap, then that should be sufficient. If you feel you need them then get one for each lens. Personally I wouldn't bother.

kabir75

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:18 am

Thanks for the information, Dave!

kabir75

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:27 am

Well, if i do decide to buy the UV filters, what specifications should i be looking for both the lenses? I searched bhphotovideo.com and see that B+W has 49mm and 52mm filters...? I will need the filters for the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S DX AND the 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor lens.

Thanks!

djwixx

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:47 pm

kabir75 wrote:Well, if i do decide to buy the UV filters, what specifications should i be looking for both the lenses? I searched bhphotovideo.com and see that B+W has 49mm and 52mm filters...? I will need the filters for the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S DX AND the 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor lens.

Thanks!

I believe both those lenses are 52mm. If you look at the back of the lens cap it will tell you the filter thread size. B & W make superb filters so you can't go wrong, as long as you don't mind spending the money. Look for a good quality micro fiber cloth so you can keep them clean.

prinothcat

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:50 pm

djwixx wrote:
kabir75 wrote:Well, if i do decide to buy the UV filters, what specifications should i be looking for both the lenses? I searched bhphotovideo.com and see that B+W has 49mm and 52mm filters...? I will need the filters for the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S DX AND the 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor lens.
Thanks!

I believe both those lenses are 52mm. If you look at the back of the lens cap it will tell you the filter thread size. B & W make superb filters so you can't go wrong, as long as you don't mind spending the money. Look for a good quality micro fiber cloth so you can keep them clean.

B&W are excellent filters for the price, but pricey they are. Tiffen and Hoya are often the choice of the day to day shooter. Basically you want to find a good quality glass filter that's coated. I agree that your lenses are 52mm front diameter. If you search B&H under filters 52mm you can see everything they have. Generally the top end will have solid mounts, better glass, and will be coated to reduce glare, flare and reflections, and increase light transmittance. Cheaper, means low quality glass (plastic), cheap mounts, and no coatings. The two places to look for lens size are the back of the cap, and if you do not have the cap usually the last number on the makers plate which follows a "o" with a "/" through it is the lens front diameter. It's on the bottom of many Nikon lenses.

For more info you can throw Photographic filters at google. There are some good article out there regarding quality and cost. I can't link to them because I'm away from my home computer. Finally, one school of thought is that with digital imaging and post processing, it's less necessary to use a UV or haze filter anymore. A coated clear glass filter is supossedly sufficient for lens protection.

OK one last thing, I use the same brand of filter on all my lenses that need their own filter. I also buy one filter of the largest diameter require dby my gear and use step down rings to avoid the need for multiple expensive filters like circular polarizers, and full neutral densities. You might keep this in mind since Nikon is making many of their DX lenses in 67mm, and all the pro caliber stuff is 77mm. Other manufacturers will use different diameters.

kabir75

Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:06 pm

Thank you for all the information - I have just bought the UV filters and a lens cleaning kit. Best wishes, Kabir

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras UV lens filter