Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Tamron Di II 18-250 or Sigma 18-200 OS for Canon?

Digital Cameras

Tamron Di II 18-250 or Sigma 18-200 OS for Canon?

blackadder41

Tamron Di II 18-250 or Sigma 18-200 OS for Canon?

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:40 pm

I'm an amatuer wanting to replace my 18-55mm and 75-300mm mkIII USM Canon lenses for my 400D EOS as I'm missing opportunities when changing lenses, or when not carrying my longer lens. I'm tempted by the Tamron and seen good reviews, but wonder what your views are on it not having OS. Is the larger and heavier Sigma with range only up to 200mm a better bet as it has OS? It also gets good reviews. I'm torn between the two and would appreciate your advice. Many thanks. i'm new to pbase as well so look forward to some replies!

djwixx

Re: Tamron Di II 18-250 or Sigma 18-200 OS for Canon?

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:14 pm

You could also consider the Tamron 24-300mm VC if you want the longer range with VC being Tamrons OS equivalent.

I've heard a lot of hit and miss stories about Sigma quality control (nothing I've experienced) so that's normally a reason for me not to consider their lenses.

blackadder41

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:56 am

Thanks Dave, very helpful. I'm assuming you mean the 28-300mm, or is there a 24-300mm that I've missed? Not sure if I'd miss the 18-28 range, but I could keep my 18-55 lens to give me the flexibility. Options, options! Cheers

djwixx

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:46 pm

blackadder41 wrote:Thanks Dave, very helpful. I'm assuming you mean the 28-300mm, or is there a 24-300mm that I've missed? Not sure if I'd miss the 18-28 range, but I could keep my 18-55 lens to give me the flexibility. Options, options! Cheers

Oops......... You're right, I was in too much of a rush! A couple of things to be aware of with the full range that you want to cover. 1) They're are highly likely to be less sharp than the current lenses you have. 2) At the long end, the lenses are a little slow with the widest aperture being F.6.3. Above 200mm, I would suggest OS,VC, VR, IS on whichever lens should now be considered a default for hand held shots. I had a 70-300 and threw away 80% of the shots at 300mm hand held. With image stabilization I kept 80% of the shots. It's not the cure all, but it definitely opens up a lot more options.

You may want to consider sitting on the decision a while and determine a budget and requirement. You may find you are losing shots, not because of the length of a lens, but possibly the speed of the lens? Tamron do a 17-55mm F2.8 which isn't a bad price, and you'll get to enjoy the benefits of a quick lens at a constant F2.8 and you should notice a huge difference compared to the (I'm assuming) kit lens 18-55mm you already have. Another lens I always suggest, mainly on price, but to give anyone good exposure to a quality lens, is the 50mm F1.8. It's a great cheap way to seeing what a wide aperture lens can give you and it's a great portrait lens, and to boot, you can add some closeup filters to get you near macro!!

Bear in mind I consider myself a snapper, but I started heading in the 'all in one' direction, then realized the potential using the 50mm, and now I don't have any concerns needing to carry multiple lens, currently five by default with several others available if required!!

As you have already said there are so many option, which again, is why I would suggest really thinking about what you really want, above convenience.

blackadder41

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi Dave,
Your advice has been really helpful, many thanks. :D
Yes, I am still quite torn between the Sigma 18-200OS, Tamron 28-300VC and Tamron 18-250. There are advantages and disadvantages to them all. And I want the advantages of them all put together!! I'll need to comprimise somwhere along the line, so taking a bit more time to consider what I'll get best value and use of is definately a must. It is the range that I am currently wanting the most without swapping lenses all the time, but if I get really inferior quality I'm sure I will regret spending the money if the quality is compromised too much. I'm leaning much more towards having OS/VC/IS though as I do think this seems to be fairly critical.
Thanks for your support.
Carol

djwixx

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:17 am

blackadder41 wrote:Hi Dave,
Your advice has been really helpful, many thanks. :D
Yes, I am still quite torn between the Sigma 18-200OS, Tamron 28-300VC and Tamron 18-250. There are advantages and disadvantages to them all. And I want the advantages of them all put together!! I'll need to comprimise somwhere along the line, so taking a bit more time to consider what I'll get best value and use of is definately a must. It is the range that I am currently wanting the most without swapping lenses all the time, but if I get really inferior quality I'm sure I will regret spending the money if the quality is compromised too much. I'm leaning much more towards having OS/VC/IS though as I do think this seems to be fairly critical.
Thanks for your support.
Carol

You don't have to compromise, just realize, as with everything, that you need different tools for different jobs, and that applies to different lenses as well. Bear in mind what you have and consider what you can do with it, then buy something that covers the greater percentage of everything else.

This forum might add a little more info to consider,
http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?p=182563

moffetb

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:15 pm

blackadder41 wrote:Hi Dave,
Tamron 18-250. There are advantages and disadvantages to them all. And I want the advantages of them all put together!!

I like my Tamron 18-250 on my Digital Rebel XT. I used to use an 18-55 and 28-150, and found that I needed to switch lenses too often. Now I use the one lens mostly, and occasionally use a 100-400 IS when I need serious length and quality.

You can see photos with the 18-250 in my birds gallery. It does a nice job. There is some chromatic aberration on high contrast edges, but given the range I'll accept that. I also use it a lot for aerial photography now.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Tamron Di II 18-250 or Sigma 18-200 OS for Canon?