Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Difference between Canon 40D and new 450XSi

Digital Cameras

Difference between Canon 40D and new 450XSi

christophertravels

Difference between Canon 40D and new 450XSi

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:25 pm

Hello everyone

I am ready to invest and take the plunge into the bigger world of DSLR. The biggest reason is that this summer I will be going on safari for 6 weeks in Southern and Eastern Africa. I need a camera that can zoom and focus reliably in low light on moving objects. I know my S3 is not up to the job. I think I'd like to get the new Canon 450XSi when it's available on the market in late April. I'll probably invest in that expensive 70-300mm DO IS lens because it's physically smaller (but not lighter, I know). Travelling light and small is very important to me. When I travel, I go for weeks living out of a knapsack living in hostels and this summer living in tents.

So what is the difference between the 40D and the new 450XSi, except the price and weight? Sure the 40D will take more photos per second than the 450, but is that all? Are there more things the 40D can do that the 450 cannot? Is the extra money and weight worth the investment? I've looked at the Digital camera review This helps but I'd like to hear some of your comments, not just a list of specs.

Perhaps it's difficult to ask for comments on a camera not yet released, but the 400XTi has been on the market for more than a year. Can anyone compare the 400 XTi with the 40D?

Thanks
Chris

dang

Re: Difference between Canon 40D and new 450XSi

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi Chris,
Given the situation, I'm not sure I'd go with either. Even though they have anti-dust systems, they're not weather sealed.
I'd suggest either looking toward a 1D series, or another brand, since you haven't invested in lenses already. With recent
senors, Canon isn't as far ahead of the crowd as they once were, so weather related problems would be among my highest
considerations. Compare Nikon & Pentax before making a final decision. If I recall right, both have lesser expensive bodies (with seals)
that should do the job.

christophertravels

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:03 am

dang wrote:
They're not weather sealed.
I didn't know this, it is a real problem? I don't think I'd be changing lenses frequently. How do I find out which cameras are weather sealed? Which cameras are weather sealed?

I'd suggest either looking toward a 1D series
Out of my price range.

Even the Nikon 300 is a little too pricey for me. Unless someone can convince me to invest in this camera.

dang

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:21 am

Hi Chris,
Yeah, "Pro" lines get pretty expensive, but in the 1D series (as example) offer double the shutter life too. Not sure about other brands...
As far as weather sealing, dust & moister can ruin a body without seals if you're exposing it to the elements, regardless if you're changing lenses or not.
If Nikon is too pricey, check Pentax. They've come a long way, and are priced exceptional for the features offered. For comparison,
Nikon: http://nikonimaging.com/global/products ... /index.htm
Pentax: http://www.pentaximaging.com/

Canon's only options are the 1D series, sadly...
Also, since I'm not "hands on" familiar with either brand besides Canon, I'd suggest checking if the lenses are weather sealed too. It would seem a bit counter-productive if they're not.

Maybe someone else can give more direct information to help save some looking, or offer their opinion. Anyone?

adz929

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:10 am

D200, D300, D1 series, D2 series and the D3 are fully weather sealed. As for lenses, again, it's only the high end stuff that is weather sealed, eg. the Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/2.8 VR. As for Pentax, the K200D is fully weather sealed, however, I don't really know that much about Pentax lenses. Personally, I'd by a Nikon D60/D80, a Nikkor 18-200 VR and keep it in a plastic bag. Cheap, light and versatile.
adz929...The protanomolous photographer...

Pixel peepers...bah, humbug!

dang

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:11 am

While I agree plastic bags are good, they're not much help when actually shooting in heavy dust & rain. I'd suggest
doing a web search on "African Camera Safari" and see what you come up with. Just be aware you'll want to look
for the newest information possible, and take into account what equipment was available at the time of article. If
reading something written by a professional, they probably weren't concerned if the camera worked in a year.
Of course, you might not be either.

tobra

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:41 pm

here is an article that might help explain some of the major differences....

i have a 40d and i'm extremely pleased, just got it a few weeks ago and can't put it down.

good luck!

http://www.dpnotes.com/canon-40d-vs-canon-450d-digital-rebel-xsi/

http://www.pbase.com/tobra
www.pbase.com/tobra

christophertravels

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:50 am

Nice article Tobra

Here's what I found out about African safaris:
Luminous Landscape Africa Safari
Ken Rockwell
Neither article specifically states you have to get a weather proofed camera.

Thank-you all for your help. I know rain and water will not be a problem, I won't use the camera when it rains, or under Victoria Falls. Dust could be a problem, but I'll avoid dust storms. I'm going to be in Southern and Eastern Africa July and August, the dry season. Last year I was in Australia for the same two months during their dry season and dust didn't seem to be a problem. I had my S3, which is fine for stationary objects but infuriating for moving animals.

Space and weight are an issue. I'm going to spend 6 weeks in a truck with a bunch of other smelly backpackers, it's not a photography safari.

If I buy a 450XSi and it gets ruined by the weather I can buy 6 more for the price of one Canon 1D.

dougj

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:34 am

Chris, apologies for joining this somewhat late, but what are you looking to change/improve from your current S3?

christophertravels

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:32 am

dougj wrote:Chris, apologies for joining this somewhat late, but what are you looking to change/improve from your current S3?

The S3 zooms well, equivalent to about 450mm. But it focuses so slowly. I'll be photographing animals that move, they're not going to wait for my camera to focus. We'll be travelling during the morning and evening hours looking for animals, during lower light levels. I need something that can focus reliably. Also I am tired of the Ni-H batteries, AA's. While in the camera, these AA's batteries last a week, 100-200 photos, but the spare set don't hold their charge so when I'm ready for a new fresh set of batteries I have none.

And I'm ready to make the jump to DSLR. I am so far quite happy with my photography, but I think I can do more now than my P&S cameras can manage. Over time I will probably buy a wide angle and a macro lens. I really enjoy this photo gig I've got myself into. I was even asked to photograph our school musical as word's got out that I can photograph. (I had to borrow a Canon 350 and rent a good 200mm F2.8 lens). I'm the science teacher.

Taken with my S3. But less than one shot in ten is a keeper.
ImageImage

As you can see, I think I can manage with the S3, but with a DSLR I could take more quantity and quality action photos. I know what it's like to use a DSLR, I know how much more they can do.

Would an infrared filter would well for night time safari photography?

dougj

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:54 am

Chris, you have some great photos in your gallery and I think a DSLR will serve you well. The 40D is well documented and by all accounts is a good performer, we'll see what the 450XSi delivers when it begins shipping, has been reviewed and users provide feedback. I hope Canon does not repeat the 1DmarkIII fiasco.

I've used the 70-300 DO for a few years, it was purchased specifically as a compact travel zoom, before the introduction of the upgraded 70-300 IS USM. I don't use it too much locally, as I have other lenses I prefer that deliver better image quality. Having said that, the DO is a very good lens, and it's the first or second one I grab when traveling. Out of the camera, the images produced by this lens are different in appearance from any of my other lenses. They require some post processing, and improve significantly with some added contrast, saturation and sharpening. Some of this might be added in the camera, I haven't tried this as I prefer to do it in PP.

The AF is fast, thanks to the micro USM which also provides full time manual focus. Chromatic & spherical aberrations are minimal, although it is subject to a little more flare than the 'L' series lenses, but I've infrequently experienced this. Early on there were reports and examples of strange donut looking bokeh under specific back lit conditions, I haven't seen this, perhaps because I haven't shot under these conditions. The build quality is excellent, and it's traveled very well getting bounced around a lot. It is an expensive lens, certainly compared to the 70-300, which has received good reviews.

Here is a website that has some useful tips on the DO.
http://www.fovegraphy.com/70_300DO_TipsE.php

BTW, there are hybrid NiMH batteries available that have long shelf lives. Eneloop, manufactured by Sanyo, is probably the more commonly known brand. These really do work, the capacity is a little less, but they have minimal loss of charge over the course of weeks, some claim months.

Have a great trip!

dang

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:46 am

Hi Chris,
Looking at the links you posted, they're out of date, but does seem you can get by without seals if your careful. Very different sounding than what
a friend said he experienced. I did a search too, and found another site thats a good read you might be interested in seeing also. It goes into a bit
more detail than the others, and discusses filters and such:
http://photo.net/travel/africa/safari

Have a great trip, sounds an exceptional area to visit.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Difference between Canon 40D and new 450XSi