Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Nikon D300 - Unable to locate "ncsetup1.bin" file

Digital Cameras

Nikon D300 - Unable to locate "ncsetup1.bin" file

imorozoff

Nikon D300 - Unable to locate "ncsetup1.bin" file

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:27 pm

Regarding: Nikon D300 using a SanDisk Extreme III CF 8GB memory card

This camera allows you to save custom settings and it does so by creating a transferable file named 'ncsetup1.bin' on the card.
When I attach the camera to the computer with the USB cable, I can see the card and pictures, but do not see the settings file.
Likewise, I also do not see individual folders. ie: 100, 101, etc.

Should I be using a card reader device instead?

Input is appreciated. Thank you.

prinothcat

Re: Nikon D300 - Unable to locate "ncsetup1.bin" file

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:11 pm

imorozoff wrote:Regarding: Nikon D300 using a SanDisk Extreme III CF 8GB memory card

This camera allows you to save custom settings and it does so by creating a transferable file named 'ncsetup1.bin' on the card.
When I attach the camera to the computer with the USB cable, I can see the card and pictures, but do not see the settings file.
Likewise, I also do not see individual folders. ie: 100, 101, etc.

Should I be using a card reader device instead?

Input is appreciated. Thank you.

OS ? It's probably a function of how your OS is taught to handle camera media. If you plugged that same card into a card reader it would like as not open as a drive and you would see everything on it. If you're using a windows family OS it is probably ignoring the .bin file because those are "normally" hidden file types to windows.
My D-200 cards show two files. One is a directory (DCIM) which contains the image files 100 101 etc. The other nikon001.dcs I assume has configuration values in it. I've never looked into the second file, never needed to.. Further I can't open that file, it's in a format that linux will not handle.

imorozoff

Re: Nikon D300 - Unable to locate "ncsetup1.bin" file

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:51 pm

Thank you for your response. It appears that when the camera is plugged in directly like this, then Windows XP will only see the pictures. Problem is solved with a card reader.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Nikon D300 - Unable to locate "ncsetup1.bin" file