Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Repairing Manual focus mechanism on a Canon L prime

Digital Cameras

Repairing Manual focus mechanism on a Canon L prime

marxz

Repairing Manual focus mechanism on a Canon L prime

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:36 am

I have an old, out of warranty, 300mm f/2.8 L that has increasing, though still intermittent, problem with using the manual focus ring. It seems that the clutch mechanisum is increasingly failing to engage. a few weeks ago it would manual focus 90% or more of the time, now it's more like 5% of the time that it works.

Canon's national service center in my country will not give me estimate on the cost or even a ball park figure and given that, here, it means shipping the lens all the way across the country (I'm guessing at my own personal expense), then waiting (as not being a registered Canon Professional I don't preferential treatment) for as much as a month for a quote, then fixed or not fixed shipping it back (again probably at my expense).

Just wondering if anybody has experience with non warranty repairs to a USM clutch on their telephoto primes (or any other full time manual focus lenses) so I can, at least, guess-timate the cost.
there is no .sig

jniemann

Re: Repairing Manual focus mechanism on a Canon L prime

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:53 pm

I had this problem with my 70-200 f/4L. I took it back to the dealer, who sent it on to Canon.
It took about 2 weeks to get fixed.But it was under warranty.

In your case, I'm sure you can do the same, but you will have to pay for it if it's out of warranty.
I'm not surprised that they won't give a quote without seeing it first.
The good news is that I don't think this is a difficult problem to fix.
(It sounds as though its more common than Canon would like to admit)

Anyways, Good luck !!!

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Repairing Manual focus mechanism on a Canon L prime