Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Nikon D40 cannot autofocus with AF-S

Digital Cameras

Nikon D40 cannot autofocus with AF-S

d2

Nikon D40 cannot autofocus with AF-S

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:53 am

I got a Nikon D40 with the AF-S 18-55MM GII ED lens, but the camera does not autofocus with this lens. I bought the camera online. Is it a defective piece? I have gone through the manual and done everything, as recommended. Am i missing something?

djwixx

Re: Nikon D40 cannot autofocus with AF-S

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:06 am

The D40 doesn't have a focus drive pin on the lens mount so you need to be careful with what lenses are compatible. All Nikon lenses will fit as they use the decades old F mount, but some functionality will be lost or you will be reduced to needing to use the lens manually. In this case the lens you are using is an AF-S so should be fine. Silly question - on the side of the camera by the lens mount, is it set to manual or automatic and is the lens to to manual or automatic?

d2

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:19 am

The setting on the side is set to A (auto) and lens is also on AF-A (automatic)

jestev

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:23 pm

Have you tried remounting the lens? It could have a bad connection.
John Stevenson
http://www.pbase.com/jestev
Nikon N70, N6006; D300, D50
Lenses (of 20): Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF, Tokina AT-X 12-24 f/4 AF PRO, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF, Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 AI
Canon S1 IS
Minolta XG-7

d2

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:15 pm

Yes, tried it several times.

djwixx

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:09 pm

I would suggest at this stage to take the lens or camera to a camera shop and try it on another lens/camera and that should tell you where the issue is.

jestev

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:01 am

djwixx wrote:I would suggest at this stage to take the lens or camera to a camera shop and try it on another lens/camera and that should tell you where the issue is.

Ditto. My guess is a bad AF motor in the lens.

Have you tried any other AF-S lenses?
John Stevenson
http://www.pbase.com/jestev
Nikon N70, N6006; D300, D50
Lenses (of 20): Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF, Tokina AT-X 12-24 f/4 AF PRO, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF, Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 AI
Canon S1 IS
Minolta XG-7

prinothcat

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:42 pm

Nikon USA says the D-40 will run all AF-S lenses. This is or was a flagship comsumer body and one of the primary consumer lenses, so it ought to work. I suspect a problem with the lens mount itself. I have issues with an 18-135 of this same AF-S G series. The plastic mounts can have enough play in them such that the contacts do not line up and the lens goes dead. Not a fan of plastic lens mounts. When mine acts up I find by gently shifting the lens on the camera the stars realign, and viola the lens works. Another possibility, is there may is a focus priority release mode, in which the shutter does not release unless the image is in focus. The D-200 has the "feature". It can be overridden. Finally, the AF system is finicky at f5.6. 5.6 is the minimum at which the system will function. If you're shooting in low light, at 5.6 sometimes the AF doesn't get enough light to work and it will refuse focus. Normally though I believe in this condition the lens will hunt, as oppose to not focusing at all. Lastly another of those questions that we hate to ask but need to be asked, your battery is fully charged? Any other signs from the camera itself that there might be electrical issues? Plaintive desire... better, faster non pro wide/zooms from Nikon.....

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Nikon D40 cannot autofocus with AF-S