Board index Equipment Digital Cameras caNON 70-200mm F/4 IS USM MANUAL FOCUSING PROBLEM..HELP...

Digital Cameras

caNON 70-200mm F/4 IS USM MANUAL FOCUSING PROBLEM..HELP...

richaspden

caNON 70-200mm F/4 IS USM MANUAL FOCUSING PROBLEM..HELP...

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:47 pm

Hope that someone can help me. I have just sold my Canon 70-200mm lens to fund a 100-400mm upgrade but the person i have sold to has now stated that there is a problem with the manual focusing and has said

QUOTE " If I turn the focus ring from infinity to close focus, the distance scale does not always move by the same amount and it takes several steps to make it go from infinity to closest focus distance. This does not happen if I try to turn from close to infinity".

I have always used the lens on autofocus so have never encountered this problem, does anyone know if this is a common problem with these lenses and easily fixed by canon, what's the best way of going about it, the lens is 10 months old and under warranty still.

Many thanks

jniemann

Re: caNON 70-200mm F/4 IS USM MANUAL FOCUSING PROBLEM..HELP.

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:26 pm

richaspden wrote:Hope that someone can help me. I have just sold my Canon 70-200mm lens to fund a 100-400mm upgrade but the person i have sold to has now stated that there is a problem with the manual focusing and has said

QUOTE " If I turn the focus ring from infinity to close focus, the distance scale does not always move by the same amount and it takes several steps to make it go from infinity to closest focus distance. This does not happen if I try to turn from close to infinity".

I have always used the lens on autofocus so have never encountered this problem, does anyone know if this is a common problem with these lenses and easily fixed by canon, what's the best way of going about it, the lens is 10 months old and under warranty still.

Many thanks

I had a very similar problem with my 70-200 f/4L. In my case, the focus was getting "Jammed" Ie - the distance scale would get stuck, along with the actual focus. When this happened, neither autofocus or manually turning the focus ring would move it, and you would need to wiggle the focus ring back and forth a few times to un-jam it.

I took it back to the dealer (under warranty), and they sent it to Canon for repair. They said something along the lines of "The light barrel had come loose, and we tightened it up again" and they were able to fix it.

I'm pretty sure Canon will be able to fix it, but if it is out of warranty then I'm afraid you will have to pay for the repair yourself.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras caNON 70-200mm F/4 IS USM MANUAL FOCUSING PROBLEM..HELP...