Board index Equipment Digital Cameras If you only had $200 to buy a used lens...

Digital Cameras

If you only had $200 to buy a used lens...

inviolate_light

If you only had $200 to buy a used lens...

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:32 am

Hi folks.

Very new member here. I hope somebody can give me some advice here.

I am novice to intermediate photographer. Have a 20D. Looking to upgrade from kit 18-55mm. Looking for a "walking around lens"

I have been scanning craigslsit for a new used lens. I have confirmation on 2 lenses and I am trying to decide which one to keep. Both are about $220 (cdn)

1) CANON EF 28-105MM/3.5-4.5 USM
or
2) Tamron AF28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di

I don't know how much range after 125mm I would need. But it might be handy, right? Which one has the better glass? A lot of people tell me to stick to Canon if I can. Is one put together better than the other? Or Am I wasting my time with both?

Thanks in advance...

prinothcat

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:30 am

First off, welcome. Second, I must qualify as Nikon shooter... That being said I would probably go with the Canon, knowing that it is probably a better build, and all around a better lens. Think also about the crop factor on the 20d. Is it a 1.6x sensor? If so that 28-105 may behave more like a 50-160 (or there abouts). 28mm on a 1.6 sensor is not really wide angle as it would be on FX or 35mm. Neither appears to be Image Stabilized so you'll need to be able to shoot higher shutter speeds as the focal length increases. F/4.5 will help with that. F/5.6 is often the point at which AF systems start to have trouble locking in. Larger F stop, faster lens is probably more desirable.There are numerous lens evaluations from Pbase users here. You might also want to look at DPreviews

marxz

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:35 am

I have to agree that a 28 at the wide end give a very cramped range... for my style of shooting.

A wide to normal angle or wide to short telephoto zoom is, for most people, their real swiss army knife lens and were the real money should be spent. (with the obvious exception of wildlife and sports photographers)

My shooting style I find that about with a 1.6 crop camera 80% of the time I'm using 35mm (56mm equivalent) or wider ( and usually a _lot_ wider) for most of my walk around/holiday camera work and as such my 17 -35 is left on the main body most of the time.

My first digital, a 1.6 crop d60 canon, using a 28-70 L despite being a very versatile lens on a full frame film body left me with a gapping inability to do landscape and even most "snapshot" work.... a used Sigma 14mm prime filled that hole but still.... when my D60 failed in Japan (after I was caught out in 8 hours of in torrential monsoon rain) the replacement 20D I bought there was unable to use the 14mm Sigma lens (needed a, by then, unavailable rechip) I found myself often totally unable to shoot far too many scenes.

Also $220CND, even with the much lower prices you pay in north american is almost certainly not going to get you a lens that is any real or significant upgrade from your kit lens.

If you go with either of the option you listed don't sell your kit lens until you eventually upgrade at the wider end.

As a stop gap between kit and quality glass there's always the used market, no shortage of lenses in local trading press or even ebay being sold off as people move up or give up the hobby.

My choice I guess would be to save up and get the EF-S 17-85 IS or the almost an "L" 17-55 IS or, as I actually did, look for used glass.
there is no .sig

sheila

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:15 am

The 3.5/4.5 version of the 28-105 is fairly good for the price. Its the first lens I bought for my D60 - http://www.pbase.com/sheila/image/41631737

Its fairly sharp and contrasty and you will get good use out of it.

Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

inviolate_light

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:59 pm

Running out the door late for work r course, but thought I would check in.

Thanks for the advice folks. You are right, I should really consider having something a bit wider at the bottom end. But I also know I can swap back to the 18-55. -A pain, yes it will be.

As for IS, if I have made do without it this far, I think I will be able to holdout a little longer.

My goal is to end up with an "L" series lens. I have rented a couple over the years. I hope to pick one up maybe next year. I was hoping to spend only a little bit this year as money is gonna be tight.

Thanks again. People can keep adding advice. I will check on this for the next day or so as I weigh my options.

fred333

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Those are some great tips. Thanks.

inviolate_light

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:51 am

Well I picked up the the canon the other day. Have been busy and haven't had much time to really put it through it's paces. However I have fired off some stuff in the mid-range f8-11 area and I can already feel an improvement over the kit lens.

i will pick up the Tamron next weekend and try that one too. Keep the one I like and sell the other.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras If you only had $200 to buy a used lens...