Board index Equipment Digital Cameras EOS 300D Which Lens For Outdoor Sports ?

Digital Cameras

EOS 300D Which Lens For Outdoor Sports ?

stimpybhz

EOS 300D Which Lens For Outdoor Sports ?

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:18 am

Im from Brazil, im looking for a EOS 300D. Ok no problems, thats the one that i will buy.

But I have a HUGE QUESTION:

I Work with soccer players. I need to make outdoor pictures of them.

Which lens i buy?
70-200mm ?

Yes I have the budget problem.

ukexpat

Re: EOS 300D Which Lens For Outdoor Sports ?

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:32 am

stimpybhz wrote:Im from Brazil, im looking for a EOS 300D. Ok no problems, thats the one that i will buy.

But I have a HUGE QUESTION:

Which lens i buy?
70-200mm ?

Yes I have the budget problem.

With budget constraints that lens will do fine, otherwise the 100-400L would be ideal.

snappingturtle

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:15 am

Hi,

How much are you willing to spend? In outdoor sports such as soccer, you will definately need a lens with a zoom of no lower than 200mm. If you wish to save money, there are some nice lenses that range from 70-300mm that can be less than $200 US dollars. I have a Sigma 70-300mm for my Canon EOS 300D which cost $150 and it works great. I have yet to try them out on soccer, but it was effective for baseball and softball. I can upload sample pictures when I get the chance.

These low cost lenses usually do not have a constant aperture. They are usually f/4-5.6. The more expensive lenses are usually constant at f/2.8. But for soccer, a constant f/2.8 may not be that necessary unless you are shooting indoors or would like to achieve a professional type background blur.

Good luck! Visit your nearby camera store or shop online. You should find some good options.

Hugh

stimpybhz

This one

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:26 am

I think that this kit could be ok.
Right ?

Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM Autofocus Lens
279,00 at bhphoto.com
they send to brazil!

Canon ET-65III Lens Hood for EF 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.0, 135mm f/2.8 SF & 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Lenses

and
Canon 58mm Haze UV-1 Glass Filter

snappingturtle

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:17 am

Hi,

Yes that sounds like a capable lens. But why not look at the aftermarket brands such as Tokina, Tamron or Sigma? They make lenses for most top brand cameras including Canon. They are generally less costly and they do the job done just as well.

BH photo is a great store. I live below them in New Jersey. Great prices and decent service, but they will be closed from April 6-13 due to the Jewish Passover holiday.

Here is a tip: Go to their search and type: Canon 300mm zoom lens

You can ignore the first two that show up because they are rather expensive.

Hugh

snappingturtle

Samples

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:58 pm

Hi,

I uploaded pictures of a recent soccer game so you can see examples of the Sigma 70-300mm on the Canon EOS 300D. The pictures are pretty dark however because it was a cloudy day.

http://www.pbase.com/htsung/soccer

Hugh

stimpybhz

Great'

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:09 am

Great Pics...

Soccer is a Female Sport at USA.

I think that i will try a sigma lens

ukexpat

Re: Great'

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:58 am

stimpybhz wrote:Great Pics...

Soccer is a Female Sport at USA.

Well there is men's Major League Soccer, but it is a bit of joke...compared to real soccer like the English, South American or Italian Premier Leagues...

nick88

Re: EOS 300D Which Lens For Outdoor Sports ?

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:09 pm

[/quote]

Which lens i buy?
70-200mm ?

Yes I have the budget problem.[/quote]

Remeber that you get what you pay for. While there are some very good Sigma and Tamron lenses, there are some real dogs too. The Canon 70-200mm f/4.0L is a fantastic lens and relatively inexpensive compared to its f/2.8 IS version.

Nick

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras EOS 300D Which Lens For Outdoor Sports ?