Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon Digital Rebel. Need help!

Digital Cameras

Canon Digital Rebel. Need help!

renem24

Canon Digital Rebel. Need help!

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:23 am

Hi everybody,
I just bought a few days ago a Canon Digital Rebel. The pictures on the LCD display look amazing but when I try to see them on the computer they look completely different. I printed a few of them and I tried to make a custom ICC profile adjusting the RGB chanels. Still a big difference. I thought that Canon suplied an ICC profile with the software, at least to mach the camera with the computer. Nothing there, too. Just useless software. I tried to use the profile provided by Capture One. Is not working because is not an RGB profile. I know that there are a few devices to calibrate a monitor but there are too expensive for me.
My question is: Is there an RGB ICC profile for Canon Digital Rebel? Can somebody post a link or to email it to me?

Thank you

rene241972@yahoo.com

wilfredmrand

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:05 am

Set your 300D to adobe RGB. In Photoshop and C1, you set this for your rgb work space. You also have to set an output profile....this gets your monitor to render the colors closer to what you'll get off your printer.

The LCD is not an indication of the quality of your exposure....the histogram (the little chart you see when you press the "INFO" button) is your most accurate guide.

Raw files will initially look muddy on your screen. You can train Photoshop and C1 to tweak them to your satisfaction. I always wind up with increased sharpening, sometimes increased exposure, some saturation, a slight nudge in contrast....it's been pretty consistent.

If you're shooting jpegs, however, you'll get nice looking prints right of the CF card on a pictbridge printer like the Canon i900D, even on images that don't look great on your monitor.

ukexpat

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:31 am

One additional point, of you want to process RAW files properly you will have to calibrate your monitor properly -- you just cannot fo it properly by eye. The Adobe thing works just about OK but to do a proper job you need profiling software and a measuring device.

wilfredmrand

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:58 am

But if you don't have (or can't afford) a profiling device, buy a printer with a matching profile. (For Canon, the i900D is a great printer.) Using your eye and the printer, you can bend your computer into line.

I do business with several photographers and color print houses. None of them use these devices yet they still produce great results. Otherwise I wouldn't buy from them.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon Digital Rebel. Need help!