Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 16-35mm upgrade?

Digital Cameras

Canon 16-35mm upgrade?

treas

Canon 16-35mm upgrade?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:58 pm

I was looking at purchasing this lens but I found that it has recently been upgraded. The upgrade is $1400. plus and the discountinued is $1039.

Does anyone have any input on the differences, are they worth the extra
dough?

toosnvetts

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:27 pm

Everything is going up!

You might want to read this older review and see if you absolutely need the 16-35 2.8. Good luck with whatever choice you make. I like my new 17-40 4l but I am a newbie and love all this stuff! :lol:

Charlie

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... 7-40.shtml

gilp

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:24 pm

I don't have the "upgrade" model but I do have the original 16-35L 2.8 and while it's good...it's the worst of all my L lenses. it's not that sharp and that's on the whole range. my assistant as a 17-35 from tamron and while the focus is much slower it easily compares to my 16-35....at 1/3 the price.

marxz

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:21 am

Wide angle zooms seem to be quite a difficult product to get "just right" there seems to be quite a few great standard and telephoto lenses but wide angles seem to be a matter of "pick your compromise" between the factors of speed , low distortion, low CA, edge to edge sharpness and, of course price.

I've tried to find some reviews of 16-35 MKI V's 16-35 MKII... get far too many hits on the 16-35 V's 17-35 or other comparisons to wade through and find the right ones.

I recall that the general gist of the MK I V's Mk II 16-35 f/2.8 L reviews were that the MKII was a little sharper, and less prone to flareing and that the price difference between NOS MKI's and the new MKII was worth it for the improvement if using a full frame camera (1Ds, 5D) but a little less definite value on a 1.3 or 1.6 crop frame camera.

My Sigma 10-20 actually has slightly less (but noticeably so) CA and ever so slightly sharper at the center than the Canon 17-35 L I own.

The 16-35 L MkI that I tried had about the same level of CA as the Sigma and about the same center sharpness, not enough for me to slap the big money down on the 16-35L over either my Sigma 10-20 or Canon 17-35L

Of course the Sigma was basically less than 1/3rd the price of a new 16-35 (and about the same price as the 17-35 used)

the advantage that the 17-35 (and the 16-35) is:

f/2.8 - faster focusing in low light (not such a big issue with wide angles) and able to take shots in lower light being 2 stops faster than the sigma.

Sharper image from edge to edge and the 16-35 MK II being sharpest of them.

Full frame compatibility - important to me as I'm looking to move to a 5D shortly. If I knew I was staying at 1.6 I would have got the excellent 17-55 f/2.8 EFs (and actually I did buy it when it first came out and had to return it ASAP as the EOS 60D which I use as my spare body, despite being a 1.6 crop, won't take EFs mount lenses)

Far less distortion and vingeting though fare's fare the Sigma is a 10-20 ultra wide angle so to compare these against a 17/16-35 is a bit unfair.

build quality, actually the Sigma seems to be very well built but the L's are just that little more so.
there is no .sig

ideatasarim

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:12 am

marxz wrote:Wide angle zooms seem to be quite a difficult product to get "just right" there seems to be quite a few great standard and telephoto lenses but wide angles seem to be a matter of "pick your compromise" between the factors of speed , low distortion, low CA, edge to edge sharpness and, of course price.

I've tried to find some reviews of 16-35 MKI V's 16-35 MKII... get far too many hits on the 16-35 V's 17-35 or other comparisons to wade through and find the right ones.

I recall that the general gist of the MK I V's Mk II 16-35 f/2.8 L reviews were that the MKII was a little sharper, and less prone to flareing and that the price difference between NOS MKI's and the new MKII was worth it for the improvement if using a full frame camera (1Ds, 5D) but a little less definite value on a 1.3 or 1.6 crop frame camera.

My Sigma 10-20 actually has slightly less (but noticeably so) CA and ever so slightly sharper at the center than the Canon 17-35 L I own.

The 16-35 L MkI that I tried had about the same level of CA as the Sigma and about the same center sharpness, not enough for me to slap the big money down on the 16-35L over either my Sigma 10-20 or Canon 17-35L

Of course the Sigma was basically less than 1/3rd the price of a new 16-35 (and about the same price as the 17-35 used)

the advantage that the 17-35 (and the 16-35) is:

f/2.8 - faster focusing in low light (not such a big issue with wide angles) and able to take shots in lower light being 2 stops faster than the sigma.

Sharper image from edge to edge and the 16-35 MK II being sharpest of them.

Full frame compatibility - important to me as I'm looking to move to a 5D shortly. If I knew I was staying at 1.6 I would have got the excellent 17-55 f/2.8 EFs (and actually I did buy it when it first came out and had to return it ASAP as the EOS 60D which I use as my spare body, despite being a 1.6 crop, won't take EFs mount lenses)

Far less distortion and vingeting though fare's fare the Sigma is a 10-20 ultra wide angle so to compare these against a 17/16-35 is a bit unfair.

build quality, actually the Sigma seems to be very well built but the L's are just that little more so.

It* became useful thanks

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 16-35mm upgrade?