Board index Equipment Digital Cameras What camera for ultra zoom and low light, deer pictures?

Digital Cameras

What camera for ultra zoom and low light, deer pictures?

jab862

What camera for ultra zoom and low light, deer pictures?

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:34 pm

I need advice on what digital camera to buy. I want something that I can take hunting with me and get pictures of deer that I might see that would range in distance from 5 to 100yards and almost always in lower light conditions. I bought a Casio Exilim EX Z1000 thinking it was small and with the 10.1 mega pixels and the 3X optic zoom I could enlarger the pictures and get what I wanted. Well a deer in some what low light and at 15 yards looked more like a spec than a deer and when I went to digitally zoom in on it the clarity was terrible. It was not even close to viewing the deer with the naked eye and I was hoping for better than that.
I have been looking at cameras in the $400-500 range and have seen some with ultra zooms and even IR capabilities. I have IR game cameras but have no idea what an IR regular camera does. I don’t want to buy something and end up like I did on the Casio, no good for my application.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras What camera for ultra zoom and low light, deer pictures?