Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 30D help please?

Digital Cameras

Canon 30D help please?

tedchappell

Canon 30D help please?

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:03 pm

Despite having had and enjoyed my Canon 30D for 7 months (and 8000+ images!), I am still learning some of the technical aspects. Last evening I wished to take a time-exposure of a very clear starry night but could not find a mode for having the shutter open indefinitely. Am I 'thick' or is the max shutter speed 30 seconds? I was hoping to use something like 5 minutes.
Cheers
Ted

djwixx

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:19 pm

You should have a bulb mode that lets you decide how long you want the shutter open for. The problem is how to open the shutter then close it. For my Nikon I use a cable release. Press and hold until your done, or you can lock it open then unlock it when you done. Your camera will probably allow you to use bulb mode then hold the shutter release until your done, but it's not a good way unless you can do it without moving the camera, which is unlikely.

Given a quick search on Google I suspect Canon Remote Switch RS-80N3 will do the trick.

Your manual should tell you all about the bulb setting and how to use it and which remotes are compatible.

gemmf

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:32 pm

I'm not familiar with 30D but I think you'll probably find 'bulb' right after 30sec in manual mode (keep turning the dial after 30sec, unless it has a separate bulb mode as in 1D series).

tedchappell

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:53 pm

djwixx wrote:You should have a bulb mode that lets you decide how long you want the shutter open for. The problem is how to open the shutter then close it. For my Nikon I use a cable release. Press and hold until your done, or you can lock it open then unlock it when you done. Your camera will probably allow you to use bulb mode then hold the shutter release until your done, but it's not a good way unless you can do it without moving the camera, which is unlikely.

Given a quick search on Google I suspect Canon Remote Switch RS-80N3 will do the trick.

Your manual should tell you all about the bulb setting and how to use it and which remotes are compatible.

Ah, thank you. I had noticed reference to 'bulb' and hadn't figured out what it was. Very much appreciated.
Cheers
Ted

tedchappell

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:54 pm

gemmf wrote:I'm not familiar with 30D but I think you'll probably find 'bulb' right after 30sec in manual mode (keep turning the dial after 30sec, unless it has a separate bulb mode as in 1D series).

Thank you gemmf, very much appreciate the two very quick replies.
Kindest regards
Ted

supersignet

Post Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:06 pm

You can also get a time release remote, with a timer in it. so you can set your exposure time and walk away
Canon 30d, Canon 400d, Sigma 30mm 1.4 EX HSM, Sigma 70-200 2.8EX non-DG, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-300

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 30D help please?