Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Assistance Researching new digital slr

Digital Cameras

Assistance Researching new digital slr

vincentvalle

Assistance Researching new digital slr

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:53 pm

:?: Greatings-
I am interested in getting a digital slr. My first and current experience with a digital camera is the cp 5700. I enjoy it's versatility but I am finding a need for no lag time. I have been asked to take portraits and wedding pictures by friends and family. I feel it is time to upgrade a bit....and I want a new toy! :lol:

I'd like to keep it below $2000 (as far as possible) and I want to make sure I have what I need in a camera.
Can anyone suggest both brand and possibly a good place to get one?

I'm looking for at least 6 mp, doesn't need to be higher.

Also like compact flash media.

I'm also interested in knowing if a digital slr gives you more versatility with lenses too.

Looking forward to the usual outstanding kind guidence from you all. Thanks!

Vince Valle

snappingturtle

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:48 pm

Hi,

As far as I know some of the best digital SLRs I have heard of that are under $2000 are the Canon EOS 300D "Digital Rebel" The Canon EOS 10D, the Nikon D100 and the latest Nikon D70. All mentioned are 6 megapixel. To find out more, you can visit this link:

http://www.dpreview.com

I currently have the Digital Rebel. It suits my demands, but is inferior compared to the earlier brands and the new Nikon D70. It was designed strictly for cost effeciency.

As for lenses, these cameras can accept lenses designed for their brands and it works great! Some companies sush as Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron make aftermarket lenses for all of the top brand cameras such as Canon or Nikon.

As for compact flash, these cameras usually accept CF memory cards. I know the Canon DigitalRebel and the 10D do. Nikon should.

Hugh

bobtrips

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:38 pm

You can get started with dSLRs for under $1,000 with either the Canon 300d or Nikon D70. But with an exchangeable lens camera you're only getting started. Lenses can add to the cost of the package.

If you've got deeper pockets you might want a more 'professional' dSLR. That would take you to the range of the Fuji S2/3, Canon 10D, Nikon D100, Olympus ....

Spend some time on http://www.dpreview.com. There are tons of posts and reviews.

As for prices try using http://www.pricegrabber.com. Just pay attention to the reputations of the various vendors. In general I avoid vendors located in New York with the exception of B&H and Adorama.

vincentvalle

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:42 pm

Bob and Hugh-
Thanks so much! This helps quite a bit. Should I have concerns about the plastic body of the Rebel or other cameras?

castledude

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:56 pm

I totally agree with htsungs post. Top on the list would be the 10D or D70. The 300D is a little strange in portraits (flash issues). The D100 is not worth the premium over the D70 (the D70 is really nice).

All the DSLRs use CF (some also have secondary options like XD, SD).

For $2000 you can buy a body, two primes and a good flash without much problem. For real portrait work I would advise a couple of alien bees (like the digi bee package), camera, one Wide to medium zoom prime a backdrop stand+muslin, and the low end OEM flash. You will probably still have enough left to pick up that big zoom (well at least a cheap one).

Pick up a couple of 512M cards and a digital wallet (or use a laptop if you have it) and you are set.

gschmickle

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:45 pm

Hi Vince,

For someone on a budget such as yourself, you may be best served to buy the cheaper of the DSLR offerings (either the D70 or 300D) and use your leftover cash to invest in a better lense. Both of the aforementioned cameras have the ability to take the same quality pictures as their more expensive siblings. Because of this, I believe you would be better off buying a D70 or 300D with a good quality lense than a D100 or 10D with a mediocre one. I'm not too familiar with the 300D, but I've played with a D70 and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it over the D100 or 10D if I had your budget constraint.

I also wouldn't be too worried about a plastic body. The people most concerned about this issue are the photographers who previously owned tank-like film cameras. If treat your camera properly, you won't have any issues and you won't have to carry around a boat anchor! :lol:

-Guy

snappingturtle

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:26 pm

Hi Vince,

I agree with Guy.

Plastic or metal, it you handle it properly, keep the strap on your neck when you can and not take it to a "battlefield", it should survive.

I previously posted a topic about plastic vs metal durability comparing the Canon 300D and 10D. You can see it here:

http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=2695

Hugh

vincentvalle

Thanks again Everyone!

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:34 pm

I've printed out all the notes and I've been reading dpreview. Even went to Yahoo and printed out a comparison of all of them. You've all been wonderful. The community here is outstanding. Thanks again! And I really needed the reassurance about the plastic vs. metal just in case.

Vince

castledude

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:26 am

One more to toss into the mix. Pentax *stD it runs a little more than the D70 but Pentax glass is cheaper than Nikon or Canon glass (OK it's also not as good) this is kind of a wild card in the mix that you might want to add to your research.

The cheaper glass might give you a few extra coins for other toys.

wilfredmrand

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:11 am

I wouldn't worry about the 'plastic' used in the D70 or 300D. It's polycarbonate, which is used in welder's safety eyewear and FA-18 wings and stabilizer. (The US Navy switched to polycarbonate because the magnesium alloy they had been using - same as the all-metal camera bodies - would develop cracks.) Some day, all cameras will mostly polycarb.

BTW, I've dropped my DR once....took a 9-inch bounce off a wood floor. Not even a scratch on the nifty metallic finish of the camera!

vincentvalle

What we learn...

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:34 pm

Wilfred, that is very interesting! It is amazing what one small post can teach us. Thanks again to you and to everyone. I will be shopping this weekend!

Vince

vincentvalle

Two more questions

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:45 pm

First, maybe a silly question but...there's no lag time, like my Nikon cp 5700?

Second question: purchasing one in a store (camera shop in my mall) in comparison to buyin online?

Thankg Guys,

Vince

snappingturtle

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:18 pm

Hi,

According to my Canon 300D there is a lag, but it is very short. The camera first focusses and then takes the shot. It is usually less than a second. If the camera is already in focus with the subject, it would take the shot almost instantly when you hit the shutter.

As to where to purchase it, try to campare prices first with nearby stores and then online dealers. Compare shipping and sales tax. Usually the sales tax would exceed the shipping, so I would purchase it online in my opinion.

Hugh

castledude

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:42 pm

All cameras are going to have focusing delays. The modern DSLRs and even the P/S have a very low delay between pushing the button and capturing the picture (comparable to the Film SLRS). If you want the actual numbers wander over to Dpreview.

Online vs local:

Online:

Pros:
Better prices (D70 is so new that the price will not be much cheaper)
Often tax free.
Can get cameras not available in your area.

Cons:
Lots of crooks out there use resellerratings.com as a guide
Watch out for grey market stuff, short packages, and refurbs.
Returns and warranty stuff can be tricky
Watch out for bad shipping costs.

Local:
Pros:
Know what you get (seeing the package etc)
Easier to evaluate then return (Costco is the best I know of)
Camera store people can help you use the camera.
Easier to return for warranty repairs.
No package deals
Instant gratification (no waiting for shipping)

Cons:
Higher price (usually)

--------------------------

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Assistance Researching new digital slr