Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 30D vs Nikon D80 (PLEASE HELP!)

Digital Cameras

Canon 30D vs Nikon D80 (PLEASE HELP!)

gregx1234

Canon 30D vs Nikon D80 (PLEASE HELP!)

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:23 am

Hey guys, I am having trouble picking out the right camera. I came to a conclusion, its either Canon 30D or Nikon D80 (both are in the same price range). BUT WHATS BETTER? I know both are great cameras, but which one is REALLY worth the money.

If anyone can give me ANY feedback that would be very helpful, thanks.

djwixx

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:33 am

A Canon owner will tell you Canon and a Nikon owner will tell you Nikon. Many would suggest the L glass for Canon's can't be beaten.

They are both worth what you'll pay. At the end of the day, what experience do you have and what do you expect to do with the camera? Use each camera and see what feels better to you and what results from each camera seems better to your eye.

It's a bit like buying a BMW or a Mercedes - they both have similar appeal but something about one will sway you over another.

dougj

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:39 am

You can't go wrong with either camera system. The deciding factor for you might be the ergonomics - which one feels the most comfortable in your hands, and has the control layout that is most convenient for you.

prinothcat

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:03 pm

dougj wrote:You can't go wrong with either camera system. The deciding factor for you might be the ergonomics - which one feels the most comfortable in your hands, and has the control layout that is most convenient for you.

I second this ergonomics made the sale for me when it came down to choosing C vs. N. I'll add that you want to look through the setting menus for both and see which one makes more sense as a user. Check out whether or not often used custom setting are easily found and changed when needed. Also look at whether or not there is a short cut or adjustment on the body itself to save rifling through menus to get to the settings.
Some people find one set of menus more or less intuitive then the other. I guess my sig lines will betray which direction I went. I will also add that I did not check out the menus on either before I bought, I learned about this later.

tedchappell

If you choose the Canon 30d:

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:56 am

Hi, I have had my 30D since beginning of June last year and am up to nearly 8000 images in that time. I am very happy with it, but shortly after my initial purchase decided a couple of additions would make a heck of a difference, and they did. I purchased the eyepiece extension unit, much more comfortable on the eye and my face isn't pressing against the screen. Even more useful and importantly: When using my Canon DO IS USM 70-300 mm lens, the ergonomics were all wrong, the camera was too 'front-heavy,' very unbalanced. I purchased the battery pack which attaches to the body base and the difference is very significant. Weight is far better spread, more camera to hold.....you also have the added convenience of a shutter attached to the base designed for use when you are taking a 'portrait-format' pic, camera on its side. (The extra battery, 2 fit in the battery pack, is obviously an advantage also).
Hope that is of interest.
Cheers

Ted

markleewebb

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:29 pm

Ken Rockwell wrote an article about the Nikon new D60 in January. I think the D60 is a replacement for both the D80 & the D40x. The new D60 has all the features of the D80 that I could tell. Anyway, Ken stated the D60 was not worth buying - best bang for the buck was the 6mp D40. You won't notice a diference in 6 vs 10mp according to Ken (and he has a lot of add'l research concerning the Pixel myth).

Baed on my research, I'd get the less expensive Nikon D40 6mp, or else I would get the Pentax K10D or the new Pentax coming out in a few months. The Pentax bodies are built better (dust seals/waterproof/etc). They even have a new 14mp camera coming out for around $1,200 in April. If you want brand name go Nikon D40. if you want best camera go Pentax.

canudigme

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:53 am

If I were you knowing what know now. I would just get a Canon 20D or Nikon 70s use with a low shutter count. To beat up on, put about 100,000 shots on then you'll be ready. Then buy new. By then you can get a Nikon D6 or Canon 60D in about 5 months. LOL!!! Great time to buy use..... GOOD LUCK SHOPPING!

adz929

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:33 am

markleewebb wrote:Ken Rockwell wrote an article about the Nikon new D60 in January. I think the D60 is a replacement for both the D80 & the D40x. The new D60 has all the features of the D80 that I could tell. Anyway, Ken stated the D60 was not worth buying - best bang for the buck was the 6mp D40. You won't notice a diference in 6 vs 10mp according to Ken (and he has a lot of add'l research concerning the Pixel myth).

The D60 will not be replacing the D80, it will only replace the D40x. Its lack of an internal focus motor will ensure a healthy supply of D80 customers, although, given the price of D200 bodies now, I don't know why anybody would bother.
adz929...The protanomolous photographer...

Pixel peepers...bah, humbug!

icholakov

Re: Canon 30D vs Nikon D80 (PLEASE HELP!)

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:57 am

gregx1234 wrote:Hey guys, I am having trouble picking out the right camera. I came to a conclusion, its either Canon 30D or Nikon D80 (both are in the same price range). BUT WHATS BETTER? I know both are great cameras, but which one is REALLY worth the money.

If anyone can give me ANY feedback that would be very helpful, thanks.

I haven't used a Canon but from extensive use of the D80 (and a D50 prior to that) I can say I am slightly disappointed by it. Its praised autoforcusing mechanisms diesn's work as well as I had hoped, highlights are easily overblown and the noise is high for my taste. May I'm just expecting too much, but if I had a choice today and I didn't have all my Nikon lenses I'd pick the Canon. As a matter of fact with Canon's 5D being less than $2000...you may stop and think one more time.

clcjr

Re: Canon 30D vs Nikon D80 (PLEASE HELP!)

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:12 pm

If you're leaning to the 30D, spend a little more and buy the 40D. There is a difference.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 30D vs Nikon D80 (PLEASE HELP!)