Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Little help choosing a camera for water sport.

Digital Cameras

Little help choosing a camera for water sport.

spnx3

Little help choosing a camera for water sport.

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:03 pm

I really dont know what to buy, so that why Iam writing here to get some help. Iam looking for a great cam Reflex, maybee use or not for water sport, Wakeboard, waterski. Canon nikon ? wich one choose ? Price is not really important, i already buy a Canon Rebel Xti, but iam realy limited with FPS. i want to put +- 2000$ maybee more for the body only if its really necesserary i can put more. Need a fisheye and a 300 or 200. We always took the picture inside of the boat and sometine on the deck.

Thank for your help. and continu to take some nice picture :)

Alex

djwixx

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:39 pm

The lenses you want will cost about the $2000! I suspect on the budget you have most would recommend a Nikon D300 or a Canon 40D for the fps, but you want to make sure the lenses you buy are fast as well otherwise the combination will be a waste. I gather they are both well weatherproofed.

I'm not convinced a fisheye will give you anything worth getting unless you're on the board as well :shock: You may do better try a 70-200 F2.8 on your XTi rather than invest in a new camera until you can see what the results are like. With the XTi you're getting 3 fps and the other options get you nearer 6 fps. Does the XTi have continuous focus, if so 3 fps may be sufficient and concentrate on the lens.

Personally I wouldn't want to be on the back of a boat in those conditions with $2000 of camera gear unless I knew it was well protected!! And don't change lenses unless you are extremely well protected. You'll be cleaning the sensor for weeks!!!!

canonian

Re: Little help choosing a camera for water sport.

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:40 pm

I'd get a Canon 1D MK2 used, they can be had on fredmiranda.com buy and sell forum for $1600-$1800. 8 fps, and weather sealed perfect for this application.

So far as a lens I'm not sure how close you are to the actions but a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS from a boat towing a skier would be great. Due to water spray I'd put a filter on the lens, something I do not normally recommend but in hard environments its well worth it.

marxz

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:54 am

Taking pictures from the boat your not going to get much milage out of a fish eye lens the skier will be little more than a dot in the frame.

Either brand would work but the Canon rebel has very poor water resistance and Canon are being painfully slack introducing weather sealing on models other than the 1D's especially given that Nikon and Pentax have it even on their lower end prosumer models... I'm a Canon man but weather sealing would be important to you I've seen a single splash kill a rebel/400D and even, from my own painful experience, the prosumer models (20D-40D) will be put out of action by constant water exposure (they fail to take picture or lock up after each frame, though if fresh water they usually survive and start working after a few days of drying out or a $$$ service at a canon center )

Even with a weather sealed camera and lenses using it constantly in a saltwater environment will kill it very quickly
so if using it in a salt water environment (even from a boat) then seriously consider a a water tight enclosure - no need for a hard dive case, something like the Aquapack camera bags will do though I cut the end off of the lens part off so I wasn't shooting through plastic put a UV filer on to stop splashing on to the lens then use strong elastic bands to hold the now open end of the aquapack closed around the very end of the lens (as close to the filter as possible).

I'd use an stabilised zoom of around the 100-400 range (give or take) or a stabilised prime (at least in the boat your a generally fixed distance from the subject so a prime should work well)

and remember to wipe down all kit with a damp cloth after getting it home.
there is no .sig

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Little help choosing a camera for water sport.